1753767 Members
5503 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Long Hostnames

Glenn S. Davidson
Trusted Contributor

Long Hostnames

I have 11.0 installed and a hostname of 15 characters. I know the dangers of having more than 8 characters (no lectures please). I also know that 11.0 supports up to 64 characters (it's in the docs). I need to know how to get the OS to accept a hostname that's more than 8 characters.
/etc/rc.log states:

Setting hostname
Output from "/sbin/rc1.d/S320hostname start":
----------------------------
Nodename must be less than9 characters
EXIT CODE: 1
"/sbin/rc1.d/S320hostname start" FAILED

I know I've solved this before but I can't remember what I did! I've checked all the docs even related to hostname/nodename. Any ideas?
Conformity Destroys a mans initiative and independence. It supresses his powerful inner drive to do his own thing.
3 REPLIES 3
Joe Terry_1

You can modify the utsname.h file in /usr/conf/h --- note: read the .h file, other parameters must be changed! Then rebuild the kernel.

Brian M. Fisher
Honored Contributor

I think there are really two issues here. HP-UX uses both hostname & nodename which are usually the same but are not required to be.
hostname can be greater than 8 characters and is changed by:
hostname new-hostname

nodename is limited to 8 characters and is changed by:
uname -S new-name

Brian
<*(((>< er
Perception IS Reality
Glenn S. Davidson
Trusted Contributor

OK I did find out all that information before posting. I guess there really is no simple answer. I'm told NFS requires the 8 char limit or won't work because it uses uname which relies on nodename. this is all tied to UCP and backwards compatability issues. Hostname has the 64 char limit. So can I really change the utsname.h file and dependencies then rebuild the Kernel and get this to work with uname? It sure would be nice!
Conformity Destroys a mans initiative and independence. It supresses his powerful inner drive to do his own thing.