cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for experience with Dell PE2900 / Red Hat Enterprise / SUSE Enterprise

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Looking for experience with Dell PE2900 / Red Hat Enterprise / SUSE Enterprise

We are thinking about a *nix platform, to be used as a new webserver. I am wondering if any forum regulars are running Dell PE2900 hardware, with either of these OSes, as webservers.

I don't think the hardware choice will matter much. What I am really concerned about is how many regulars have experience with these OSes, and which of these is better for a webserver.

J.
check Facebook
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Looking for experience with Dell PE2900 / Red Hat Enterprise / SUSE Enterprise

I worked with Red Hat Enterprise in Dell Servers and they work pretty good. I don't know about SUSE.

My recommendations are:
- Use Red Hat Enterprise.
- Instal Server Admin. Use omreport to identify the status of the server and storages.
- After initial installation, install dell provided storage controllers, even if your kernel already has the modules.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Looking for experience with Dell PE2900 / Red Hat Enterprise / SUSE Enterprise

Thanks Ivan,

It seems most forum regulars are using other platforms.

We are going to test this webserver content on our Intranet, running Debian 3.1, before making it available on the Internet. We are just using a Dell GX400 PC for the testing.

I like to use the ITRC forums as a resource, because it is obvious who knows what they are talking about. We are going to have premium server support (hardware and software) from Dell, which has been helpful to us with other servers. Dell basic-level support is not very good.

J.

check Facebook