108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Lvm Error

SOLVED
Go to solution
raiden
Regular Advisor

Lvm Error

I have a LV which has a striping over 7 disks.
. It is full now. Its VG also has 7 disks.

Now if I extend the VG with 2 disks and try to extend the LV what is the LVM error i WIll get.

8 REPLIES 8
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

if you use striping, for example with 7 disk ( across ) and them you like to add aditional disk you should recreate the whole LVOL.

backup data delete lvol and them create striped LVOL with for example 9 disk, and them create FS and restore data.

mikap
Kapil Jha
Honored Contributor

If you have LV striped over 7 disk you would need another 7 disk if you want to increase it.

and if u just want to add one disk simply take backup and recreated the LV striped over 8 disks and restore.

BR,
Kapil+
I am in this small bowl, I wane see the real world......
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor
Solution

>>Now if I extend the VG with 2 disks and try
>>to extend the LV what is the LVM error i
>>WIll get.

The error will probably say something about 'not enough free extents' because you don't have enough disks for the stripe.
Benoy Daniel
Trusted Contributor

If you are using extent base stripping you can extend the LV to another 2 luns without any recreation of LV.
raiden
Regular Advisor

Thanks Patrick,

Guys I just wanted the Error so that i can prepare a report for management.

Benoy>>>>Your answering is confusing. How can I extend the Striped LV on another 2 LUNS. I am sure its not possible.
Kapil Jha
Honored Contributor

I am 95% sure even if you say error would be

"I don think I can increase cause you do not have enough disk/space in VG"

They would not mind, at my side they just want a line to be filled in, let it be anything.....

No Points for this please (:
BR,
Kapil+

I am in this small bowl, I wane see the real world......
Anshumali
Esteemed Contributor

An Old thread but as you are just after the error that too for purely documentation purpose, this might work:
http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1269580007532+28353475&threadId=4370

Dreams are not which you see while sleeping, Dreams are which doesnt allow you to sleep while you are chasing for them!!
raiden
Regular Advisor

Thanks Anshumali. That was useful