New Discussion

Re: MP Console login issue

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ashok0123
Occasional Contributor

MP Console login issue

Hi,

I am using Rx8640 server & 3 VPARs are configured on it.

My problem is, I am not able to login to some of VPAR via MP Console.  On login prompt all characters shows in uppercase. I am not able to type any lowercase letter on login prompt.

I am able to login to other VPARs on same Rx8640 Box via MP console.

- - - - - - - - - - Prior Console Output - - - - - - - - - -

\WAIT FOR LOGIN RETRY: ..

LOGIN:         AS

\PASSWORD:

\LOGIN INCORRECT

\WAIT FOR LOGIN RETRY: ..

LOGIN:

- - - - - - - - - - - - Live Console - - - - - - - - - - - -

LOGIN:

Please help to resolve the issue.

4 REPLIES 4
Ralf Seefeldt
Valued Contributor

Hi Ashok,
you may have tried to log in when CAPS LOCK was active. Some servers then switch the uppercase / lowercase.
You can try to enter your username with pressed shift. Maybe,it shows up inlowercase, then.
I hope this helps.
Bye
Ralf
Ashok0123
Occasional Contributor

Hi Ralf,

Thanks for your response, but it’s not CAPS LOCK problem.

I have 3 VPARs configured on my Rx8640 server. I am able to login to 2 out of 3 VPARs without any problem, facing issue with only one VPAR.

Try to login by pressed shift but it show up in uppercase only.

HP support team as recommended to reboot the VPAR to resolve the issue.

I am not able to reboot the VPAR as it’s my production system.

Help me to find out salutation without rebooting VPAR....

Ralf Seefeldt
Valued Contributor

Hi Ashok,
unfortunatedly, I have hardly any experience with VPARs. I can not suggest you further steps to solve your problem.
Bye
Ralf
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

Does your username contain upper-case characters, or have you accidentally typed upper-case characters in the console login prompt once?

Press Control-D to stop the "login" process and allow the "getty" process to reset the console TTY modes.

If this does not restore the login prompt to normal, see below...

The upper-case phenomenon is a very old feature. Long ago, when Unix was new and dumb terminals were a common way to access a computer, some terminals were so dumb that they only supported one character case (the upper case). To support such single-case terminals, the login program was designed to switch the TTY driver to a special single-case mode when it detected upper-case characters typed to the login prompt. Some HP-UX versions still have this feature on the console.

Note that all characters that are normally lower-case are converted to upper-case on output. The characters that are actually upper-case are prefixed with a backslash (\). The reverse mapping is in effect on input: upper-case characters are converted to lower-case, unless they're prefixed with a backslash. Knowing this, you should be able to log in.

To get the console to work normally, the command "STTY -LCASE" should be used. The wrong setting may have been accidentally stored to /etc/ioctl.syscon, which holds the default stty settings for the console. You can just remove the file: it will be automatically recreated with default settings the next time you enter the single user mode. You may get a warning from init if the file is missing, but that should be harmless.

MK