Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
System Administration
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make a copy of a harddisk using dd under HP-UX

SOLVED
Go to solution
Marc Binder
Occasional Visitor

Make a copy of a harddisk using dd under HP-UX

Hello,

how can I make a copy of a harddisk (SCSI and identical) using dd under HP-UX 10.20.

Thanks Marc

P.S.This thread has been moved from  Archived Desktops and Workstations Boards to HP-UX > sysadmin- HP Forums Moderator

5 REPLIES
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Re: Make a copy of a harddisk using dd under HP-UX

Hello,

To where do you wish the copy to end? From the harddisk to what?

Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
Marc Binder
Occasional Visitor

Hello Vincent,

I wish to make a copy to another identical harddisk in same system. (HP9000 715/50)

Thanks
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello,

Command is

dd if=/dev/dsk/c#t#d# of=/dev/dsk/c$t$d$ bs=64k

where c#t#d# is the device file for the source harddisk

c$t$d$ is the device file for the destination harddisk.

What do you want to achieve though? You want to mirror the disks, or you just want a backup?

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
Marc Binder
Occasional Visitor

Hello Vincent,

my actual harddisk is very loud and I want to replace it by the other disk. So the new disk must work like the old one.

Thanks Marc
Highlighted
Michael Lampi
Trusted Contributor

A better dd command would use the raw (character) device files rather than the block device files. A larger block size would run a little faster, too:

dd if=/dev/rdsk/c#t#d0 of=/dev/rdsk/c#t#d0 bs=1024k

where '#' is replaced by the appropriate values corresponding to your input disk and your output disk.
A journey of 1000 steps ends in a mile.