108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Make_tape_recovery options

SOLVED
Go to solution
frederick hannah
Super Advisor

Make_tape_recovery options

Is there a way to create an ignite tape from a specific operating system disk? I have only the second os disk operational, while the primary or first is disabled. The server is an N4000-55 machine running 11.11.
7 REPLIES 7
SoorajCleris
Honored Contributor

Re: Make_tape_recovery options

Hi,

What you mean by desabled. Is the system up and running?

The Igite make_tape recovery takes the back up of VG00 and other required volumes. Not the back up of perticular disk.

If your system is up and running, you may always take the back up ..

enjoy mate!!

:)

Regards,
Sooraj
"UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity" - Dennis Ritchie
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

> I have only the second os disk operational, while the primary or first is disabled.

What do you mean here?

Ignite 'make_tape_recovery' has options to include and/or exclude volume groups and/or directories.

You need to be much more specific with regard to your objective and your configuration.

Regards!

...JRF...
frederick hannah
Super Advisor

Clarifying: the c1t6d0 disk has failed, but since it was mirrored to c2t6d0, the server is operational. However, when you run make_tape_recovery, it looks for c1t6d0 which isnt available so the recovery process fails. Is there a way to "force" the make_tape_recovery tool to look for c2t6d0?
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Hi (again):

# /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery -x inc_entire=vg00 -I -v -a /dev/rmt/0mn

...would make a recovery tape for all of vg00.

Regards!

...JRF...
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

I am not sure if you can "force" the make_tape_recovery, but you sure can make your vg00 an unmirrored disk(s) and then try to run your make_tape_recovery. This is the approach you should take, if you are not expecting to get a replacement disk in the next day or two. Heck, you can do it even if it is the case. It just adds some time to rebuild your replacement disk.

cp /etc/lvmtab /etc/lvmtab.save4insurance

rm /etc/lvmtab

vgscan # this will rebuild your lvmtab sans missing disk

lvreduce -m 0 /dev/vg00/lvolN /dev/dsk/c1t6d0 # N is for each lvol you have in vg00

vgreduce -f /dev/vg00

lvlnboot -R
lvlnboot -v

setboot -p /dev/dsk/c2t6d0
setboot -a /dev/dsk/c2t6d0

Now that you have eliminated the traces of the failed c1t6d0 from the LVM and boot configuration, try running your make_tape_recovery to see if it succeeds.

Hope this helps

Hi (again):

Sorry, now I see what you mean. I think Mel has some good advice to try.

I would be remiss, however, if I didn't remind you that making an Ignite tape after a failure isn't the proper order in the universe :-)

You might also find this classic whitepaper useful:

http://www.docs.hp.com/en/5991-1236/When_Good_Disks_Go_Bad_WP.pdf

Regards!

...JRF...
SoorajCleris
Honored Contributor

Hi,

If you have a new disk, just replace it with the bad one and do vgcfgrestore and lvsynch.

It will solve your problem.

The document given by James will assist you to do this.

Enjoy ...

Regards,
Sooraj
"UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity" - Dennis Ritchie