6152 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Map NFS and samba network drive on same client

BERTRAND_7
Frequent Advisor

Map NFS and samba network drive on same client

Hello,

We use a windows XP PC to map NFS and samba drive.
For some historical reason we have one server running HPUX 11iv2 that exports its directories as NFS exports.
We also have a second HPUX server running 11iv3 but this one exports its directories using Samba 3.0 (CIFS package).

On the same client PC we want to access both exported directories. Firstly we can map the Samba exported directories. Then after installation of WRQ Reflexion NFS we were able to map directories from NFS exports.

From that time, the problem is that now we can not map anymore the samba exported directories. When doing so, we are prompted to enter the NFS login/password.

Did someone already face this problem ?
Is there any option/way when mapping network drive not to use the NFS client.

Thanks for your help.
8 REPLIES 8
eric roseme
Respected Contributor

How are you mapping the CIFS share? Can you supply a description? Sounds more like a WRQ problem, but hopefully we can figure out a workaround.

Eric
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

both of the HPUX boxes should be capable of doing NFS exports. I'd think moving the Samba shares to NFS, and then using only NFS would be an option.

Also, depending on which version of Windows you have, Microsoft has a downloadable "Services For Unix" which, if I recall correctly, includes NFS.

You might also have better luck asking in a Windows or WRQ forum, as this isn't an HPUX issue
BERTRAND_7
Frequent Advisor

I agree it's more a client problem since from from a PC without any NFS client I can map the drive correctly.

I confirm that we use CIFS to export Samba shares.

On the other side we export NFS directories using the share command (after configuration of dfstab file.

On HP-UX side directories are correctly exported.
Dave Olker
HPE Pro

The HP-UX servers are able to "share" filesystems via either CIFS, NFS or both. Is there a reason why you're using a different file sharing protocol for these HP-UX servers? Is there a reason why you cannot use the same protocol (CIFS or NFS) for both servers and then use that protocol on the client to access the filesystems?

Given a choice, most customers prefer not to mix and match file access protocols when their servers support a common protocol.

Regards,

Dave
I work for HPE

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
BERTRAND_7
Frequent Advisor

Hi Dave,

The reasons are historical. One HPUX has been set with CIFS and the other one with NFS. Currently we want to use (for comparison and retrofit) both of them on same client PC.

We do not want to change the current settings of the NFS server since it's close to some servers that we have delivered to our customers.

For our new projects we intend to use CIFS. That's why we set it up on our new server in HPUX 11iv3. Using Samba, we will get rid of NFS client on PCs.
Ranoop Nambiar
Advisor

I have suggestion. Unsure , how it works in your case..

1) Export the NFS volumes( 11iv3) to other server( 11iv2- where Samba is runnning)

2 ) In the samba server ,Mount the exported NFS volume from 11iv3 server as /NFS_v3( or some thing )

3 ) Create a soft link in any of the samba share( CIFS ) to the NFS volume.

On the PC client , you will be able access the NFS share through the cifs client

Cheers,
Ranoop
eric roseme
Respected Contributor

Betrand - can you supply the exact method that you are attempting to map the Samba shares from the Windows client? Are you using "net use", or the "map network drive" snap-in? Also the exact text of the share - like \\server\share.

CIFS/Samba makes a distinction between using the \\FQDN\share and \\netbios\share and \\ipAddress\share. Trying these different combos might get you past whatever client re-director bug is sending the mapping to NFS.
eric roseme
Respected Contributor

Also, HP and Samba recommend against re-exporting an NFS client mount with CIFS/Samba. Here is a quote from a premier Samba developer taken off of the Samba email list yesterday:

We strongly advise against re-exporting NFS imports via
Samba, this is asking for trouble on many fronts. You're
seeing one symptom of this. It might be the NetApp box, it
might also be flaws in the NFS client implementation, who
knows. Please enable the CIFS exports directly on the NetApp
filer.