Joseph P. Smith
Regular Advisor

Mapping SMH "Device ID" to actual device

Good Morning,

Essential info:

HP-UX 11.31

IA64 RX6600

SMH v3.1.0

Please note that I have searched Discussion Boards, docs & Google based on search strings "HP-UX + SMH + Device ID", etc. with no luck.

I am looking for a reference that guides me through mapping entries in System Management Homepage -> Log -> Evweb -> Log Viewer "Device ID" number to a peripheral device bus location, device file, i.e. something useful.  For instance there are two entries:

Log Id     Log  Device ID        Device Type                           Time of occurrence

712 0 252192 System Hardware Thu Feb 14 2013 09:03:29     713 0 252192 System Hardware Thu Feb 14 2013 09:13:30

1. To what does the Device ID 252192 map?

2. As a secondary in perhaps more important question & answer, what happened? (and of course reference to method to determine that information)

In general the device went offline for 10 minutes, but I (and my overlords) want something more specific.  Looking for a way to fish & not the fish of course.  Thanks very much.  Solutions & helpful replies always Kudoed ,,, Joe S.

3 REPLIES 3
Joseph P. Smith
Regular Advisor

Re: Mapping SMH "Device ID" to actual device

Clarifying:

log ID Log Index Device ID Device Type Time of occrnce
712 0 252192 System Hdwe Thu .. 09:03:29
713 0 252192 System Hdwe Thu .. 09:13:30
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

I am not sure that there is a mapping to this data that would make sense to us humans.  Id suspect its more of an internal reference for SMH/evweb.

If you would like to view details about past events consider using the iLO MP.

Access the iLO MP by its IP address:

- Via a telnet/ssh session - Access the Show Log menu and view the Event logs.

-- or--

- Via web browser and locate the link "System Event Log" in the left panel.

-Bob

----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
Joseph P. Smith
Regular Advisor

Good Morning,

I've contacted HP support as two more errors occured on this device. They suggested, as did you, going to the MP -> sl, etc., etc. but no event was logged!  Now this problem is elevated to HP support/engineering, as translating this Device Id magic number to something useful even "stumps the chumps" (thanks Click and Clack).

I wish we still had the 1-10 scale rather than "Kudo"/"No Kudo" option, as your suggestion provided some helpful input.  I don't want to dilute Kudos if there is one, true solution, but offer my thanks to you ( & the check's in the mail.)

I will post information from HP support when/if an answer/solution arrives.  I appreciate your help.

Joe S.