5365 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Mass User Password reset

CA1477191
Occasional Advisor

Mass User Password reset

Hi All,
we have number of HPUX servers, and we have to reset the some user passwords every 3 months.

Is there any script or utilty available which would make this task easier, instead of logging onto each server and reseting the password manually.

5 REPLIES 5
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

Re: Mass User Password reset

install "expect", it should have a utility "autopasswd" bundled w/ it. you can then write a script similar to the following:

autopasswd user1 temp1
autopasswd user99 temp99

and run that (setting user and passwd as appropriate)
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

if OS is 11.11 or earlier then use trusted systems. if you are using 11.23 or later then use SMSE. SMSE can downloaded from software.hp.com. Once you have either installed you can setup password policies. I make mention of SMSE because trusted systems is being deprecated.
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

sent it too fast:

you can use any script construct you want to obtain the user names / passwds (read from file, loop w/ counter, or whatever is appropriate)

the important part is that autopasswd will run the passwd command, set the passwd and confirm it for you
CA1477191
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Guys for prmompt help.
Instead of installing software, what would be syntax command for simple script which i can use to run on all servers.

Forexample

rlogin server1
passwd User1 newpassword

As yo ucan see, my scripting knowledge is very basic. any hwlp would be appreciated. thanks
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

you can't script the passwd command directly, hence the need for "expect"