HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
System Administration
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max no: of kernel configurations

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ismail Azad
Esteemed Contributor

Max no: of kernel configurations

Hi,

How many kernel configurations at a max can I define on an HPUX 11iv3 operating system including named and standard configurations. Is this dependent on a tunable or something else?? I have been trying to find this out for a pretty long time. Appropriate points!!
Read, read and read... Then read again until you read "between the lines".....
5 REPLIES
Jeeshan
Honored Contributor

Re: Max no: of kernel configurations

Hi Ismail

please look at the below link

http://h71028.www7.hp.com/enterprise/w1/en/os/hpux11i-v3-update3-management.html#kernel

have fun!!
a warrior never quits
Ismail Azad
Esteemed Contributor

Yes king,

Thanks for the document but I wanted to know the exact NUMBER of kernel configurations that I can define!! There has to be something that controls it. It intrigues me.
Solution

>There has to be something that controls it.

Mostly the size of /stand.
Once I had at least 10+ kernel there.
Ismail Azad
Esteemed Contributor

Hi dennis,

Yes, that sounds mathematically logical. The more space in /stand, the more number of kernels I can create. Is it possible to formulate an equation (rough), that could possibly estimate the number of kernels that I can have. When you talk about kernel conf:, we talk about configuring modules (drivers and subsystems) and tunables. What about any related values for the superset of these module states and tunables like the no: of kernel configurations that can be defined. Isn't there anything more specific that can control this value.

>Is it possible to formulate an equation (rough), that could possibly estimate the number of kernels that I can have?

If vmunix is 130 Mb, divide that into the filesystem size. The number isn't that big.

>What about any related values for the superset of these module states and tunables like the no: of kernel configurations that can be defined.

If you can share the vmunix images between configs, you can have lots more of them.