Operating System - HP-UX
1753946 Members
8111 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Memory utilization in HP-UX for Oracle Database

Rajukv_1

Memory utilization in HP-UX for Oracle Database

I am having two HP-UX 11i runnin in rp3440 with 4GB RAM server in our project each running with 9 oracle database of size varies from 2GB to 40GB.

I facing difficulty to find memory bottlenecks, please guide me. I have attached vmstat and swapinfo data.
4 REPLIES 4
uadm26
Super Advisor

Hi,
You need to use an tool like glance, or perfview.
Good luck,
Joel.
Jaime Bolanos Rojas.
Honored Contributor

Rajukv,

According to your swapinfo and vmstat, your system is running just fine, the system is not swapping and your swap utilization since your last reboot is 1% which is very good.

Why do you think that you are having memory bottlenecks?

Regards,

Jaime.
Work hard when the need comes out.
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

Hi there.
Did you install the Oracle Enterprise Manager ? If possible, get the Diagnostic package and check your database with it.
Another hint :
use 'ipcs -a' to check all your system memory segments.
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Memory usage for Oracle is defined by your database administrator. The biggest portion of memory will be allocated to shared memory segments called SGA in Oracle. For very high pereformance, SGA can be made several gigabytes for each instance of Oracle. But if you do not have enough memory, then massive numbers of program deactivations and page-outs will occur -- thus defeating all the performance gains witgh a large SGA.

If you are truly running 9 separate instances of Oracle in just 4Gb of RAM, your machine is not configured correctly. I would allow about 1500 megs per copy of Oracle or about 16 Gb of RAM. Then have your DBA adjust the Oracle SGA sizes for performance. The size of the database has almost no relation to the amount of memory needed for good performance.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin