108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Migrating to Securepath from LVM

SOLVED
Go to solution
diegomelez

Migrating to Securepath from LVM

Hi,

We have an existing server which uses an EVA3K but is using Pv-links instead of securepath for path availability. We now realize that doesnt work well so we're migrating the VGs to securepath. I do not have experience with securepath so i'm basically relying on docs. I appreciate if anyone can give me feedback about these questions:

a) right now, i have two FCs connected to the SAN. I see 4 devices of the same LUN. When I install securepath, will these 4 device files be gone and replaced with one securepath device?

b) if so, will I only use that single new disk device in creating the VG?

c) Since I'm currently using lvm pvlinks, I appreciate if you can advise if my approach to migration make sense:

- vgexport the vg (vgexport -m map.txt vg01)
- install securepath
- after reboot, insf -e to create new device file for LUN
- vgimport (vgimport -m map.txt vg01

Thanks in advance!
4 REPLIES 4
Ian Vaughan
Honored Contributor
Solution

Howdy,
I wouldn't worry about SecurePath, the latest version of the VCS firmware makes the EVA3/5000 Active-Active so you can stick with PVlinks and still have failover. Phone HP support & get them to upgrade your array.

You are quite correct in your assumptions on how SP works.

The only complication is that the cabling on the back of the controllers has to change so your vgexport/import routine might still get a try-out as (I assume) your hardware paths to your disks will change.

SecurePath is now only of value (IMHO) if you want the software to manage your load-balancing.

HTH
Ian
Hope that helps - please click "Thumbs up" for Kudos if it does
## ---------------------------------------------------------------------------##
Which is the only cheese that is made backwards?
Edam!
Tweets: @2techie4me
diegomelez

Thanks Vaughan. I'll explore that new vcs firmware with HP. Meanwhile, I'll have to try securepath.

There might not be a need to re-cable since the new PV (securepath device) found by the system is specified with vgimport, correct me if I'm wrong.

Ian Vaughan
Honored Contributor

Howdy,
If you have a little time take a look on docs.hp.com for the installation guides for the EVA3k/5k versus the newer 4k/6k. You'll see that the cabling from the EVA host ports to the SAN switches has been changed around. The newer setup is that both controller port 1's go to switch 1 and both port 2's go to switch 2. The older EVA with the new firmware follows the new cabling layout. Phew.
HTH
Ian
Hope that helps - please click "Thumbs up" for Kudos if it does
## ---------------------------------------------------------------------------##
Which is the only cheese that is made backwards?
Edam!
Tweets: @2techie4me
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Hello!
Peace and Clean Air.

Indeed the newest EVA3K/5K VCS firmware (4.01) can now do active-active (hence PVlinks) and does away with SecurePath.

However, if your current VCS is less than 3.028, then you WILL need to upgrade to 3.028 first before you can non-distructively upgrade to 4.01.

Hope this helps.
Hakuna Matata.