108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MirrorDisk on HPUX 10.10

SOLVED
Go to solution
Geoffrey Gowers
Occasional Contributor

MirrorDisk on HPUX 10.10

We have a client happily running 10.10 on a K220 in a 'leave well alone' environment, but who would benefit from having his disks mirrorred.

Can anyone advise where I can obtain a license codeword in able to install Mirrordisk/UX off the 10.10 applications disk.

We have assumed that a modest cost would be in order to obtain the product, but neither the customer nor ourselves feel that the product is worth the considerable cost of a HPUX licence for Mirrordisk/UX

I have made the assumption that mirrordisk on 10.20 applications disks would not install and run on 10.10 - please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks, Geof
8 REPLIES 8
Sean OB_1
Honored Contributor

Geof,

Am I missing something here? Are you asking for a bootleg codeword for an HP product?

steven Burgess_2
Honored Contributor

Geoff

If you do not have Mirror/UX you can manually duplicate your boot disk to another disk. This is the process.

* Assuming current LVM boot disk is on c1t2d0 and you want to duplicate to c2t2d0.
# pvcreate -B /dev/rdsk/c2t2d0
# mkdir /dev/vgroot; mknod /dev/vgroot/group c 64 0x010000
# vgcreate /dev/vgroot /dev/dsk/c2t2d0
# mkboot /dev/rdsk/c2t2d0
# mkboot -a "hpux (;0)/stand/vmunix" /dev/rdsk/c2t2d0
# lifls /dev/rdsk/c2t2d0
==> do lifcp of all other boot utilities from c1t2d0 to c2t2d0.
# lvcreate -C y -r n -n lvol1 /dev/vgroot
# lvextend -L 84 /dev/vgroot/lvol1 /dev/dsk/c2t2d0
==> creating and extending boot lv (/stand)
# lvcreate -C y -r n -L 2048 -n lvol2 /dev/vgroot
==> creating swap LV
# lvcreate -C y -r n -n lvol3 /dev/vgroot
# lvextend -L 6544 /dev/vgroot/lvol3 /dev/dsk/c2t2d0

==> creating and extending root lv (/)
# lvlnboot -b lvol1 /dev/vgroot
# lvlnboot -r lvol3 /dev/vgroot
# lvlnboot -s lvol2 /dev/vgroot
# lvlnboot -d lvol2 /dev/vgroot
==> update BDRA for boot, root, swap and dump LVs.
# newfs -F hfs /dev/vgroot/rlvol1 ==> /stand must be hfs
# newfs -F vxfs /dev/vgroot/rlvol3
# mkdir /newstand
# mount /dev/vgroot/lvol1 /newstand
# cd /stand
# find . -xdev -depth -print|cpio pxdm /newstand
# umount /newstand
# mkdir /newroot
# mount /dev/vgroot/lvol3 /newroot
# cd /
# find . -xdev -depth -print|cpio -pxdm /newroot
# cd /newroot/etc
# vi fstab
==> edit appropriately
# lvlnboot -R
==> resync vg headers
# setboot -p 0/0/2/0.2.0
==> change prim boot path to new disk (c2t2d0)

The above assume you have /, /stand and swap only. If you have separate /opt, /usr, /tmp mounted for example, perform appropriate lvcreate on those. When it's all done you should be able to boot up from your 2nd disk. From here onwards, you have to manually synchronize bot your boot disks.

HTH

Steve
take your time and think things through
Byron Myers
Trusted Contributor

Geoff, If neither you nor your customers feel the cost off mirror-UX warrents protecting the disk, then you have already solved your dilemma. You don't need to mirror the disk. I am not aware of any non-HP product that mirrors disks within HP-UX LVM (aside from storage subsystems).
If you can focus your eyes far and straight enough ahead of yourself, you can see the back of your head.
Geoffrey Gowers
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Guys,

Sean , How suspicious !

Yes I did miss something out.

Going via online Software Licence Manager, I only had an option for HPUX v11 onwards.

We were quoted a licence price identical to that online for HPUX 11 by a reseller, and I am convinced that we have been only offered a licence for mirrordisk at the current HPUX levels.

I am looking for a licence for a back level system.

We have had licences already for 10.20 and 11.

I am looking for confirmation of the correct channel to get a codeword for the 10.10 applications disks supported by HP or not. But if through these channels the price reflects HPUX v11 on shiny L/N series instead of 10.10 on somewhat more venerable K series, then we are not interested, because the cost then forces us to consider risk and impact of upgrading through 10.20 , maybe to 11,against the risk and impact of retaining status quo on a server that otherwise chugs along merrily.

I like Mirrordisk, and it would be a useful enhancement to the customers system, but not at any price.

Thanks for the bootdisk copy info - yes thats a possible option, but for mirrordisk, I am as interested in covering the database vg as much as rootvg.

Having praised the reliability of the box, this all arose from a recent disk partial failure, that caused some down time, but was successfully recovered from backup after replacing the disks.

Geof
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The reason you can't find Mirror disk for 10.10 is that like 10.01, 10.10 and now 10.20, the products are obsolete. The 10.20 version will neither install nor function on 10.10.

I would be very concerned if this environment is for production. 10.10 is circa 1995 or so, really old and extremely limited. Now as long as you never add any disks (new disks may be too big for 10.10) or add a new tape drive (like DLT), then you may be OK for a while, but all you can do for reliability is to download and run Ignite/UX regularly as well as clone the root disk as mentioned.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

geof,

You can run 11i/32bit on a K220.
http://docs.hp.com/hpux/onlinedocs/5187-1350/00/00/17-con.html

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Belinda Dermody
Super Advisor
Solution

I was in the same situation. Running 10.10 on a K200 box and the user and 3rd party database software was fine and they had a policy if it is not broken do not change. Had to upgrade to 10.20 and that was no problem after a long discussion and arguments with the user community and it was guite easy and the mirror disk worked great, and the make-recovery utility is probably the best utility that HP developed. Just upgrade to 11.10 a couple of months ago and that was a task, you have to do a COLD INSTALL of 11.0 product, I only did that because 10.20 was expiring next year.
Geoffrey Gowers
Occasional Contributor

Further to the above,I had feedback from HP licencing saying that If we bought the latest (11i) licences then we could apply for back level codewords.

That solves how I get a 10.10 license.

We have decided to quote hardware only on K220, or a px to 11i on a pa8200 platform

Thanks for your input

Geoff