1752558 Members
4367 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Missing Filesystem after reboot

Rick Chen_1
Occasional Advisor

Missing Filesystem after reboot

The new filesystem /dev/vgpacet6/lvol1 was added to /etc/fstab. It is not mounted after reboot. No information found in rc.log, syslog.log to identify what exactly happened during reboot.
- try to mount the filesystem:
/dev/vgpacet6/lvol1: No such device or address
- vgdisplay vgpacet6
vgdisplay: Volume group not activated.
vgdisplay: Cannot display volume group "vgpacet6".
-vgchange -a y vgpacet6
Activated volume group
Volume group "vgpacet6" has been successfully changed.

Then I can mount this device.

What went wrong with it during reboot? How can I avoid this during next reboot?

Thanks
11 REPLIES 11
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Re: Missing Filesystem after reboot

It needs to be in /etc/mnttab, not fstab. Then you need to figure out why it was not activated. Is this a Service Guard situation?

Pete

Pete
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Check the discussion about /etc/lvmrc in this thread:

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=765250

Pete

Pete
Raj D.
Honored Contributor

Rick Chen,

>What went wrong with it during reboot? How can I avoid this during next reboot?

- Looks like some one newly created this vg and added filesystem to the system , however didn't do it correctly. And so it didnot come properly in next reboot.

- To avoid this : (Make sure before reboot):
1. Make sure the new vg has been added to /etc/lvmrc if AUTO_VGACTIVATE is mentioned 0 in /etc/lvmrc .

[ AUTO_VG_ACTIVATE=1 in /etc/lvmrc means automatic VG activation of all vg during reboot ]

2. Make sure the filesystem is added in /etc/fstab

3. Also it would be a good idea to take an output of bdf & vgdisplay -v & /etc/lvmtab before reboot, so after reboot it would be easy to deal with.
# bdf > bdf.txt
# vgdisplay -v > vgdisplay_v.txt 2>&1
# strings /etc/lvmtab > lvmtab.txt ; cp -p /etc/lvmtab ~lvmtab.copy.date

Hth,
Raj.
" If u think u can , If u think u cannot , - You are always Right . "
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

My apologies. I said /etc/mnttab was the appropriate file. It's not. The correct file would be /etc/fstab.

For some reason I seem to get that backwards half the time.

Pete

Pete
Rick Chen_1
Occasional Advisor

This is newly added filesystem. The previously filesystems are fine. I checked /etc/mnttab, the newly added filesystem was added after a line - such as servername:(pid1494) /net ignore ro,intr,port=821,map=-hosts,indirect,dev=0000 0 0 1254841786

Should I move it up above this line?

/etc/lvmrc hasn't been changed. it currently has AUTO_VG_ACTIVATE=0. Why did not this happen to other filesystems?
TTr
Honored Contributor

Do not touch /etc/mnttab.

If AUTO_VG_ACTIVATE was set to 0, then look further down in the /etc/lvmrc file, in the custom_vg_activation section (function) to see if the volume groups are listed there.

Is this server (or was it before) part of a servicegurd cluster? That's when usually the AUTO_VG_AVTIVATE is set to 0.

I have also seen other cases where after a power failure, the server would boot up faster than the external storgae system and if the volume group was on the external storage system it would not be available for activation right away. So these volume groups were activated at a later time via a custom start up script.
Raj D.
Honored Contributor

Rick Chen,

> The new filesystem /dev/vgpacet6/lvol1 was added to /etc/fstab. It is not mounted after reboot.

However in your case the problem is , the vg (vgpacet6) was not activated during boot time. And so the filesystem was not mounted, no matter you have added the filesystem entry in /etc/fstab . ( fyi: it is not mnttab )

Q.
1. Is it a new vg recently created.? ( /dev/vgpacet6 ).
2. If yes, has it been added to /etc/lvmrc . (Since AUTO_VG_ACTIVATE=0)

If the answer is 'no' to question 1 , then you have to check if the vg vgpacet6 is there in the /etc/lvmrc or not.

If vgpacet6 is not present in /etc/lvmrc it is obvious it will not be activated during boot time, and so the filesystem will not be mounted.

NOTE:
-ServiceGuard VG's get activated during the package start process.
- Other normal vgs gets activated from lvmrc
/etc/lvmrc populate the function custom_vg_activation() , and activate the vgs.

( Assuming VG_AUTO_ACTIVATE configured to 0 )

Cheers,
Raj.
Rick Chen_1
Occasional Advisor

Based on the information you provided I looked into /etc/fstab again and found out an incorrect character was added to "delaylog" which I believe caused this filesystem not mounted during reboot. Thanks everyone for the information.
Raj D.
Honored Contributor

Rick,
Nice to know /etc/fstab wrong entry was the culprit and fixed it.

Please take some time from your busy schedule to assign some "points" to the responses , as a token of appreciation.

Thanks.
Raj.