108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Mondo

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ray Bell
Regular Advisor

Mondo

I have create a mondo image for RHEL5 and place it on a nfs filesystem. I want to clone another server that have a few different hardware devices. Anyway I stated mondo via nfs and accepted all the default and it ran successful. The server rebooted and came up as expected. From the console I login and try to activated the network card eth0 and I'm not successful. The ip address is valid, the gateway and subnet mask is correct. So why can't I activate the network card to put my server on the network.
16 REPLIES 16
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Re: Mondo

Any error messages anywhere (/var/log/messages)? Are you trying to activate it via the GUI or command line?

Can you use ifconfig from the command line to configure the card?

What about ethtool output?
Ray Bell
Regular Advisor

I went in /var/log/message and I did not see any errors. I went to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts and add the following:

ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=209.82.230.162
NETMASK=255.255.255.0

The DEVICE=eth0 and HDWADDR=xx:xx:xx:xx
was already assign,

So I started it up with the following command:

service network restart

It restart the network and still I could not ping anything. Not sure why this is happening. Anyway suggestion would be great. Also if you have the syntax for the command to start it with the ifconf then please tell send me that as well. I am out of suggestion. I have done mondo 3 times and still it's faling.
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Check the ouput of ifconfig -a and compare the MAC address of your eth0 card with the HWADDR of the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 file. They should match.

Also, after a hardware change, normally the ifcfg-eth0 file is renamed o ifcfg-eth0.bak. Check that your configuration file is valid for the eth0 card.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Please post the output of ifconfig -a and ensure that iptables is stopped.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Hi

What happens when you ping your ip address? If this fails then your nic is a problem. If this succeeds then what happens when you ping your default gateway? If this fails then investigate.

Since your going over the network with mondo it appears all your cables, etc. are intact before clone.
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Hi

Did you clone the master's mac onto the client's?
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
Cornec

In additoin to the good hints given earlier, please check that no udev rule is creating an associatoi nbetween your MAC address and your ethx device (find /etc/udev -type f | xargs grep MAC-ADDR e.g.)
Open Source and Early Music ;-)
Ray Bell
Regular Advisor

I ran ifconfig -a and the MAC address math what for eth0.
I was not able to do a cut and paste so I type some of the information from eth0, eth1, eth2 and eth3:
{aspt5db1.national.aaa.com}/root-> ifconfig -a
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:22:64:99:52:8A
inet addr:209.82.230.121 Bcast:209.82.230.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::222:64ff:fe99:528a/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:22:81:7c:29:B1
BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

eth2 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:23:7D:E2:BA:2E
RX packets:8296 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:27 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
RX bytes:541701 (529.0 KiB) TX bytes:6773 (6.6 KiB b)
Interrupt:169 Memory:f8000000-f8012800

eth3 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:23:7D:E2:BA:2C
Interrupt:177 Memory:fa000000-fa012800

"It look like when the server came online that eth2 try to start." Could that be the problem since it has no ip address associated with it?

- I can ping the ipaddress of the server but can't ping the gateway.

- I'm not sure what you mean about clone the master's mac onto the clinet's. I did a mondo and not usre if you can specify to not get the mac and if you do then how can I do it.

Anyway I have try everythong I know of and have done restore this server 4 time and still no success. Any other thoughts?

John McNulty_2
Frequent Advisor
Solution

It could be that on the new hardware NICs are scanned by the kernel in a different order to the old server. This can happen even if the server type is the same but the cards are a different type and use a different driver. I experienced this recently when replacing NC360T (Intel) cards on a number of servers with NC382T (Broadcom) cards. The old cards scanned from right to left (looking at the back) and the new cards from left to right.

Login to the console as root and run: "dmesg -n 8" then pop the ethernet cables out and in one at a time and watch the link down/up messages on the console. This will confirm which NIC the system thinks is eth0, eth1, etc.

If it's different from what you expect, then change the network scripts accordingly. Use /etc/sysconfig/hwconf as a reference to see which hardware address the system has mapped to which eth device.