1752579 Members
4708 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Mount ext4 file system in windows

Mohammad Saidul
Occasional Contributor

Mount ext4 file system in windows

I need a software or tools to mount ext4 file system in windows.
7 REPLIES 7
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

Re: Mount ext4 file system in windows

Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Lots of ways to do this..

http://www.howtoforge.com/access-linux-partitions-from-windows

Enjoy.
Hakuna Matata.
Alan_152
Honored Contributor

samba or nfs
Mohammad Saidul
Occasional Contributor

Thank you all for your reply.

My mail server(CentOS:ext4:HP ML350G3:2 SCSI HDD with mirroring)failed to boot few days ago. Server hardware is ok but OS does not boot. I need to backup my files from HDD. I have attached those HDD with another ML350 G3 server(Windows 2003). I have tried those tools that you suggested but still could not retrieve my files.

Please suggest me.
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

you could boot some life distribution on the server and access your files.

mikap
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Mikap,

I think our friend is in a situation wherein he has a machine that is likely in a multi-boot fashion with Windows. One or several partitions are Linux ext2/3/4 partitions. He wants to access (view files) in those partitions whilst booted off Windoze.

Mohammed... I would suggest - if you have indeed such an environment - i.e. using both a Linux and a Windoze desktop, to have a common partition that is robustly accessible by both environments -- use either an NTFS or a FAT32 partition. I have one on mine. Docs/Files (Pics/Music/Videos/etc.) on Windows both accessible seamlessly by Ubuntu Desktop and Windoze7 - seamlessly. Works awesomely kool.

Hakuna Matata.
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

"My mail server(CentOS:ext4:HP ML350G3:2 SCSI HDD with mirroring)failed to boot few days ago. Server hardware is ok but OS does not boot. I need to backup my files from HDD. I have attached those HDD with another ML350 G3 server(Windows 2003). I have tried those tools that you suggested but still could not retrieve my files."

Oh didn't catch this...

Mohammad, you can try using any of the wonderful "Rescue" Linux Distributions out there (See distrowatch.com). Burn to a USB or CD ROM disk and boot...

My favourites are Knoppix and SystemRescueCD. They are very easy to use for both the novice and advanced Linux practitioner.

It even allows discovery of LVM and md (software raid) devices and allow their mounting and access and network backup even.

The tools I mentioned earlier will only work on disks that are not LVM or md managed sir... Those only work with simple paritioned or whole disks formatted as ext2/3/4...

Hope this helps.
Hakuna Matata.