New Discussion юеВ

Re: Moving print jobs with out taking down spooler

SOLVED
Go to solution
Scott_14
Regular Advisor

Moving print jobs with out taking down spooler

Hi everyone:

Well, its been a long time, but at this time i am gettign back in the HP UX world.
So I am trying to get back in the enviroment a bit.
I am trying to resolve what I thought was a simple item of having someone the ability to stop a print que, move the jobs to another que for a period of time, then move them back.
We have print ques that that will need thier printers re-directed to other ques from time to time.
I have seen lpmove, but I think that impacts the spooler and with the amount of printing, I like to avoid doing anything with the print spooler.
Does someone have a script or something, that if I need to take print jobs from A, and simply now have them print to B until I change it back?

Is simply moving the files under /var/spool/lp/request/A to /var/spool/lp/request/B work if I disable A?

The other item I have is now I have to have the user put this in a cron so it keeps it moving until they decide to have A enabled again.

I thnk I know what I need, I just cant put my finger on it in HP how to do this correctly.

thank you.
6 REPLIES 6
Keith Bryson
Honored Contributor

See this forum thread

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1006604

Hope that helps
Arse-cover at all costs
Scott_14
Regular Advisor

Thanks, I been reading this thread, and I can get the jobs to move.

I think my problem is some lack of access.

How can I get User John Doe,
that has to now take a que off for a day or so and have the jobs go to another printer,
until he needs them to go back.

AND John Doe does not have access to add this in cron?

Is there more of a permanent move...
I am hearing lpmove can do this, but can
be an issue when you have 100s of print ques

Keith Bryson
Honored Contributor

If "john doe" has access to a Unix prompt, you could use sudo to grant him the ability to do this.

Regards
Arse-cover at all costs
Scott_14
Regular Advisor

Yes, I was thinking this, but

is there really an issue with running the
lpmove Badprinter Goodprinter.

As this is suppose to not only reject print request, but keep it to goodprinter until
such time we put it back.

I keep hearing lpmove will need a lpspooler restart, which could effect current printing.

I just wander if its bad to have the user, put the job in cron as needed then remove it after.

Thanks for any input.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

As you have seen, virtually all modifications to the spooler require a restart which clobbers every active job. This is the SysV spooler design (archaic, I know). The only choice is to have the lp administrator (or root) setup printer classes with 2 members. One member is the usual printer which the other is the alternate printer. The user always prints to the class name, not the printer's name. Then disable (any user can disable a printer) the alternate printer. The spooler will only use the available printer.

When the user's printer needs to be moved, enable the alternate and disable the primary. Again, all print jobs are sent to the class name. enable/disable can be done at anytime.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Scott_14
Regular Advisor

Well, that is something I did not consider, but it may help resolve 1 side of my item.
and Is a great ideal for this.

My other problem, I beleive I have resolved, but was hoping for a easy answer, so its a matter of me, to try and make it easy for someone.
thanks for the input, as I knew I could do something, but with some lack of access and such makes it challenging to put together.