1752679 Members
5790 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Mozilla and OpenSSL

Mozilla and OpenSSL

I want to uninstall/swremove Mozilla and OpenSSL from servers running HP-UX 11.11. These two were installed as part of the HP-UX OS installation (built-in). The reason is that we always receive vulnerabilties with regards to these softwares and we prefer to uninstall them instead of keep upgrading them to latest version. My question is, Is ther any impact on HP-UX OS if we uninstall them (since it came built-in)? Are there other OS components that depend on these softwares? We don't use both of these applications.
Thank you in advance.
3 REPLIES 3
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Anthony,

1) Mozilla - generally not unless you have an app or user that need a web browser.

2) OpenSSL - Yes, SSH is dependent on SSL. So if you run SSH - which I highly recommend over telnet/ftp/rcp - then I would recommend you keep it current to avoid the vulnerabilities.

HTH,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for your quick reply.
1. Mozilla - We don't use the server as a Web server. Its actually a backend DB server.
2. OpenSSL - We do use SSH but its an implementation from from a Third party vendor KeON (BoKS). BoKS has its own SSH (and OpenSSL) binary implementation.
I just want to make verify that if I uninstall both software, the OS will not break, if some components depend on it.
Have you uninstalled it yourself?

Has anyone done this before?
MarkSyder
Honored Contributor

I would be wary of removing Mozilla even if this isn't a web server: lots of applications have help pages that use a browser.

Mark Syder (like the drink but spelt different)
The triumph of evil requires only that good men do nothing