108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Multi Version RIS server

SOLVED
Go to solution
Keith W.
Occasional Advisor

Multi Version RIS server

We currently do manual installs on 25-35 machines a month. This is time consuming and I'm investigating setting up a RIS server for this. The problem is that not all configurations are exactly the same. Some are AS800/5.1a Some are DS10/5.1b and some are DS15/5.1b-1. To add to the complication, some of the DS15 machines get installed to a disk shelf not internal disks.
Essentially my question is this. Can a RIS server be customized enough to deal with all these various install types or do they have to all be exact copies of the RIS (minus any post install scripting)?
6 REPLIES 6
Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor

I think this is possible. As long as the new machine is able to contact the RIS server over the network, things should go fine.
Ross Minkov
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, you can use RIS server for what you described. RIS server can be configured to provide to clients (the systems you are building) the bits for multiple Tru64 UNIX versions. The only catch is the client needs to be in the same subnet with the RIS server.

Also check "Sharing Software on a Local Area Network " at the URL below:

http://h30097.www3.hp.com/docs/base_doc/DOCUMENTATION/V51B_HTML/ARH9DDTE/TITLE.HTM

HTH,
Ross
Keith W.
Occasional Advisor

What about the documents I've been reading that
state the client must have the same exact disk
layout as what the RIS server has and that the OS version must be the same.
From the "Installation Cloning" Document
http://h30097.www3.hp.com/docs/base_doc/DOCUMENTATION/V51_HTML/ARH8TCTE/CLNNGCHP.HTM
It states that "Installation cloning is not supported between different releases of the operating system".
And in the same document it states.
".....must have the same disk configuration as the system where the CDF was generated."
Ross Minkov
Esteemed Contributor

Installation Cloning is a different animal.

You asked for RIS installation.
Keith W.
Occasional Advisor

My bad, thank you for correcting me. I had no idea of the difference. So I'm to take it then that RIS is more in line with Solaris Jumpstart than I had been thinking. URL's to a purely RIS related document would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Keith
Ross Minkov
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Keith,

Yes, RIS is like Solaris JumpStart, HP-UX Ignite, etc.

Here is a link to the "Sharing Software on a Local Area Network" manual:

http://h30097.www3.hp.com/docs/base_doc/DOCUMENTATION/V51B_HTML/ARH9DDTE/TITLE.HTM

This manual describes Remote Installation Services (RIS) and Dataless Management Services (DMS) in HP Tru64 UNIX. RIS is used to install software kits across a network instead of using locally mounted distribution media. DMS lets client systems share the /usr file system on a networked server while maintaining their own root ( / ) and /var file systems on a DMS server.

HTH,
Ross

P.S. Please assign some forum points to the people that you think helped you with this. Let me know if you are not sure what that means. Thanks.