Operating System - HP-UX
1752782 Members
6680 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: NFS Client on PA vs. IA HP-UX 11.31/11.23?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bishwajit Kumar
Frequent Advisor

NFS Client on PA vs. IA HP-UX 11.31/11.23?

Is there any difference between NFS Client/Server PA vs IA on HP-UX 11.31 and on 11.23?

Can we claim any application to be supported on HP-UX 11.31 *PA* if we run our test again HP-UX 11.31 *IA* and 11.23 *PA* is we run our test on 11.23 *IA*?

*Specially for NFS Client*?

For Example: HP-DP 6.11 running on HP-UX 11i v3 IA vs. PA and writing/reading data to/from NFS Mount (exported by some NFS Server) through HP-DP?

So can we claim HP-DP is qualified/supported for writing/reading data to/from HP-UX 11i V3 PA through HP-DP over NFS Client?

Thanks,
~Bish
3 REPLIES 3
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

> So can we claim HP-DP is qualified/supported...

HP-DP I am assuming means Data Protector in which case, HP is the proper authority for such claims -- and the answer is yes, Data Protector runs on NFS in 11.23 and 11.31, PA and IA. Note that 11.31 offers a number of improvements in the NFS code.

However, why would you ever use NFS with Data Protector? It would reduce throughput (a lot) and reduce reliability. DP uses it's own port to transport data much more efficiently and with greater accuracy.

As far as your own programs, NFS still works. But as with all major releases (11.31 is a MAJOR release), you must read the release notes, specifically about NFS changes and improvements:

http://docs.hp.com/en/5900-0578/index.html

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Dave Olker
HPE Pro

> Is there any difference between NFS
> Client/Server PA vs IA on HP-UX 11.31 and on
> 11.23?

There is no difference between the NFS client/server code on 11.23 IA vs. PA. There is no difference between the NFS client/server code on 11.31 IA vs. PA.

However - there are HUGE differences between the NFS client code on 11.23 vs. 11.31. Similarly, there are HUGE differences between the NFS server code on 11.23 vs. 11.31.

Bottom line, everything changed from an NFS perspective when we went from 11.23 to 11.31. But on a given OS platform there should not be any differences between the IA and PA implementations.

Dave
I work for HPE

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Bishwajit Kumar
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Bill,

Thanks Dave for clear cut answer.

This helps.

~Bish