2667 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: NFS MOUNT GIVES UNKNOWN ERROR

Victor BERRIDGE
Honored Contributor

My 2 cents...
If you were to have difficulties such as mismatch from the boxes you would have denial messages such as connection refused by...

Since you can mount on other boxes..., have you thought of /sbin/init.d/nfs.client stop/start ?
Just to be sure...

All the best
Victor
so_2
Regular Advisor

Thanks for all your suggestions.
I had already restaretd the NFS client on my HP machine. There are no firewall. All HP and AIX servers are on the same network.
I am not getting any NFS error messages.
I dont thinks "Unkonwn error " is a NFS error message.

if any one have some more answer on it , let it be too simple pls put it here to follow.
the issue is still open.

thanks
s.o
so_2
Regular Advisor

On further investigation, it has observed that we are able to mount the AIX directory only on HP running 10.xx. I have 2 HP running 11.11 on both i am unable to mount.

pls help if you can get something from above observation.

s.o
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

If I remember correctly, NFS on HP-UX 10.20 ran over UDP, and I believe NFS on 11.11 runs over TCP by default.

Try this using '-o vers=2 -o proto=udp' in your NFS mount options and see if it helps.
so_2
Regular Advisor

Thanks patrik

we tried this option already. same unknown error is giving. is there any patch to be installed either on AIX or on HP to work?

thanks
s.o
Victor BERRIDGE
Honored Contributor

Lets start from 0 again then:
1) What aix version is this box
2)You can mount this nfs-FS on other HP box but not on this one OK?
Can you mount another nfs-FS from another aix box on this server?
3)Can this box mount nfs-FS from other hpux?
Can this HP box export to your aix and can your aix mount the FS?

All the best
Victor
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Looking at the "rpcinfo" output, it seems that IBM NFS server does support ver 1 of mountd(rpc.mountd). It maybe a case and since it allows mount on HP-UX 10.x, the mountd ver 1 is fixed at AIX side, check "nfsconf" or similar and look for a defination for mountd.
If it is not fixed , there could a patch or something at AIX nfs side which would switch the mountd versions depending on the mount request from a client.
Dave Olker
HPE Pro

Hi S.O.

The unknown error could be caused by a number of issues; some temporary and could be cleared by a reboot, others not. If you are able, I'd try rebooting the 11.11 system to see if the problem goes away after the reboot.

If not, the next piece of data to collect would be a network packet trace of the failing mount command. Please collect the trace on the 11.11 system using either nettl or ethereal and post the raw trace file here so that we can examine the trace to see if it shows why the mount is failing.

Regards,

Dave
I work for HPE

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Deoncia Grayson_1
Honored Contributor

What version of AIX are you running? This may be compatibility issue between the two OS.
If no one ever took risks, Michelangelo would have painted the Sistine floor. -Neil Simon
Jorge_A_Rivera

Hello,
We passed something like that with the same error.

ping from AIX machine to the HPux11.11name and the ip address.

Please check if the HPux11.11 machine IP Address is correct in the /etc/host file on AIX machine. Maybe you are not using DNS and the authentication is by /etc/hosts. May be the name is ok but not the IP Address.
In our case was an error in a only one numer in the IP Address.