Operating System - HP-UX
1753639 Members
5401 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: NFS Mount becomes inactive on HP-UX11.31 while DP6.11 Backup is writing to it???

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bishwajit Kumar
Frequent Advisor

Re: NFS Mount becomes inactive on HP-UX11.31 while DP6.11 Backup is writing to it???

Hi Dave,

>> This is so strange. once the "cp -r"
>> operation completes i'll run my DP Backup
>> session without rebooting or making any
>> change to my environment:

After "cp-r" completed with not issue i started HP DP Backup as well and I did not see any issue this time as well.

With
------------
AUTOFS=0
NFS_TCP=1
NUM_NFSD=16
------------
Dave Olker
HPE Pro

Then I guess the prudent thing would be to leave things alone. If it ain't broke...

Dave
I work for HPE

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Bishwajit Kumar
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Dave,

>> Then I guess the prudent thing would be to
>> leave things alone. If it ain't broke...

BTW do you recommend
Scenario#1 Adding all of these?

NFS_TCP=1
NUM_NFSD=16
NUM_NFSIOD=4

OR
Scenario#2 : leaving as is:
NFS_TCP=1
NUM_NFSD=16

OR
Scenario#3
removing NUM_NFSD=16
not adding NUM_NFSIOD=4

OR
Scenario#4
not having none of these entry as you described that they as not used any more:
NFS_TCP=1
NUM_NFSD=16
NUM_NFSIOD=4

How about AutoFS?
Do i need to keep AUTOFS=1 or AUTOFS=0 (in my case where i hard mount my nfs share)

Really appreciate your help...

Thanks,
~Bish

Dave Olker
HPE Pro

Hi Bish,

My preference would be scenario 4. NFS doesn't use those variables any more so they can only add confusion to any troubleshooting efforts. If you experience client stops responding with these tunables removed then the stops responding needs to be investigated.

As for AutoFS, if you do not use AutoFS to mount filesystems then set AUTOFS=0 since there's no reason to run it.

Regards,

Dave

I work for HPE

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Bishwajit Kumar
Frequent Advisor

Perfect!!
Thanks Dave, I'll go with Scenario#4 as you suggested (i.e. they not being used by NFS any more in HP-UX 11i v3(B.11.31) IA.

I'll post you the results.

~Bish
Bishwajit Kumar
Frequent Advisor

Hi Dave,

With the Scenario#4; HP-DP Backup hangs again... Once it timeout i'll try "cp -r" command and post you the result.

>> Scenario#4
>>not having none of these entry as you
>> described that they as not used any more:
>> NFS_TCP=1
>> NUM_NFSD=16
>> NUM_NFSIOD=4

Thanks,
~Bish
Bishwajit Kumar
Frequent Advisor

Hi Dave,

With the Scenario#4:

+ First time Backup completed 100% - no problem

+ Then rebooted the system (for some reason)

+ "cp -r" command completed - no problem

+ no reboot at this stage

+ started backup again and it hungged about in 50Min
Dave Olker
HPE Pro

> started backup again and it hungged about in 50Min

Sounds like an intermittent problem. Is all NFS traffic to that server hung? Can you still read/write data to that filesystem outside of DP while the backup is hung?
I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo
Bishwajit Kumar
Frequent Advisor

> started backup again and it hungged about in 50Min

>> Sounds like an intermittent problem. Is all
>> NFS traffic to that server hung? Can you
>> still read/write data to that filesystem
>> outside of DP while the backup is hung?

There is no problem the NFS Server (DeDup Appliance) side as i don't have any problem with Read/Write to Server from Other Windows/Linux Client with HP-DP or CP command any time.

So its very clear issue with HP-UX Client (Could be OS or DP). What's you take on this?

Thanks,
~Bish
Dave Olker
HPE Pro

Let me rephrase. Can you still issue reads/writes to the NFS server *from the same NFS client where DP is hung* while the backup is hung? I want to know if all NFS activity between the specific client and the server are hung or only DP traffic.
I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo