Operating System - HP-UX
1752295 Members
5013 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

NFS Mount becomes inactive on HP-UX11.31 while DP6.11 Backup is writing to it???

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dave Olker
HPE Pro

Re: NFS Mount becomes inactive on HP-UX11.31 while DP6.11 Backup is writing to it???

> I tried to eleminate these lines from
> my "/etc/rc.config.d/nfsconf" file but it
> did not get any better.

I didn't claim these paramters did anything or would change the behavior. I said they're obsolete - meaning they are no longer used.

> Look like these variables are still having
> impact on the NFS Demon. So i decided to
> verify all these variables by eliminating
> one by one.

Nope. I searched the entire kernel source code and there isn't a single place where we reference the NUM_NFSD or NUM_NFSIOD variables any more. If you're getting different behavior I think it has more to do with other factors.

I don't know if you rebooted in between tests, stopped and started things between tests, etc. Those variables, and NFS_TCP are not used by the HP-UX kernel on 11i v3.

Regards,

Dave
I work for HPE

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Bishwajit Kumar
Frequent Advisor

Re: NFS Mount becomes inactive on HP-UX11.31 while DP6.11 Backup is writing to it???

Hi Dave,

Thanks a lot for the clarification...

> I tried to eleminate these lines from
> my "/etc/rc.config.d/nfsconf" file but it
> did not get any better.

>> I didn't claim these paramters did
>> anything or would change the behavior.
>> I said they're obsolete - meaning they
>> are no longer used.

I

> Look like these variables are still having
> impact on the NFS Demon. So i decided to
> verify all these variables by eliminating
> one by one.

>> Nope. I searched the entire kernel source
>> code and there isn't a single place where
>> we reference the NUM_NFSD or NUM_NFSIOD
>> variables any more. If you're getting
>> different behavior I think it has more to
>> do with other factors.

>> I don't know if you rebooted in between
>> tests, stopped and started things between
>> tests, etc. Those variables, and NFS_TCP
>> are not used by the HP-UX kernel on 11i
>> v3.

Yes I did reboot my system every time i made any changes (added/removed any parameters); then ran my test.

What that could this problem be? This is so strange - when have NUM_NFSD and NUM_NFSIOD my test passes if i remove NUM_NFSIOD my test fails.

Please guide me.

Please let me know if you want some info logs from the system?

Regards,
~Bish
Dave Olker
HPE Pro

Please clarify something for me.

The only difference in behavior you're seeing with all your configurations is with Data Protector, correct? Regardless of the way you set these obsolete variables, you can always copy data to the appliance outside of DP without issue, correct?

If that's the case then I'd be investigating this issue purely from a DP perspective. I know nothing about DP. Maybe they do something really screwy and look for the NUM_NFSIOD parameter to change their internal algorithms. I have no idea.

Have you opened a case with HP and asked someone on the DP team to investigate the problem?

Dave
I work for HPE

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Bishwajit Kumar
Frequent Advisor

Hi Dave,

With

AUTOFS=0
NFS_TCP=1
NUM_NFSD=16

I started copying data using ("cp -r") command; and i was monitoring it with "iostat -t 1" and "netstat -I lan2 1" it was fine for about 3 minute then i all the became 0 (Zeros). And still on my DDR I could the see the connection was active for the hp-ux client. but later (about 10 min) when i check the client status on DDR it was inactive.

but my "copy -r" command was still running it hasn't time out yet.

At least with HP-DP my backup worked for 40min.

Does this help?

Thanks,
~Bish

initially looked like it was going fine.

#NUM_NFSIOD=4
Dave Olker
HPE Pro

When the copy job appears to hang, does nfsstat report any traffic? Try this:

# nfsstat -z

Start the copy job and wait for it to "hang" then type:

# nfsstat -c
# nfsstat -z (zero out the counters)

Wait a few minutes

# nfsstat -c

Did the counters increase while the job was hung? If so, which ones?

Dave
I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo
Bishwajit Kumar
Frequent Advisor

This is so weird,

Last time IO stopped in 5-10 min and "cp -r" command never completed i had to reboot the system...

So after I rebooted the system: i started copying the data to the NFS Mount. 2 & Half hours past and I don't see any issue so far.

----->
output files are attached

<-----
Dave Olker
HPE Pro

Like I said, I do not believe what you're seeing has anything to do with the values of the NUM_NFSDS, NUM_NFSIODS, NFS_TCP, or AUTOFS tunables (assuming you're not using AutoFS). NUM_NFSDS, NUM_NFSIODS and NFS_TCP tunables are obsolete - we don't use them anymore.

There's likely something else in your environment causing the stops responding to occur, which is why some of your tests failed while others succeeded when the changes you made in between should have no effect.

The nfsstat counters should be the indication of whether outbound over-the-wire NFS calls are being made, or at least attempted, but the 11i v3 client.

Out of curiosity, what version of ONCplus are you running on this system?

Dave

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo
Bishwajit Kumar
Frequent Advisor

Hi Dave,

This is so strange. once the "cp -r" operation completes i'll run my DP Backup session without rebooting or making any change to my environment:

I'll post the result.

>Out of curiosity, what version of
> ONCplus are you running on this system?

----------
# swlist ONCplus
# Initializing...
# Contacting target "qaia48"...
#
# Target: qaia48:/
#

# ONCplus B.11.31.09.01 ONC+ 2.3
ONCplus.NFS B.11.31.09.01 ONC/NFS; Network-File System,Information Services,Utilities
#
--------

Thanks,
~Bish
Hakki Aydin Ucar
Honored Contributor

Hi,
11iv3 is different from earlier versions, as Dave stated here, ( I did nor know that )

When it comes to DP side, last time I installed last release of DP ,I remember it needed couple of patches highly recommended by HP Support. I am talking about release 11iv1 but maybe 11iv3 have some problems like this ,you can ask your local HP with a case.
Bishwajit Kumar
Frequent Advisor

Hi Hakki Aydin,

Thanks for insight,

BTW, my HP-UX 11i v3 Media is September 2010 edition, I have installed required HP-UX patched recomended by HP-DP 6.11.

I have all latest HP-DP 6.11 Patch installed on Windows 2003 R3 x64 cell manager, RHEL 5.5 x86_64 Installation Server, so my HP-UX DA & MA client is fully patched (i mean DP Patch and OS Patch).

Thanks,
~Bish