1752565 Members
5578 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: NFS Permission Issue

V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

You have write access for aynboy (world rwx) - so that should work - what's your problem?
Any error message?
*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
Mousa55
Super Advisor

Hi,

i still not starting to share filesystem, i want to know if i can share filesystem from server A to server B with different ownership and group as following

Example

On Server A

# bdf
/dev/vg015/lvol15 2097152  952547 1073156   47% /mount1
# ll -d

drwxrwxrwx  17 dsadm        dstage           1024 Apr  6 10:55 /mount1

On Server B

# bdf

serverA:/dev/vg015/lvol15 2097152  952547 1073156   47% /mount2

# ll -d

drwxrwxrwx  17  wasadmin        wasgroup           1024 Apr  6 10:55 /mount2

becuase i know when you try to share some filesystem on any server it's will make a match process between the uid and gid, for that you see the ownership and group it's different about the local server except on one case if the uid and gid are same on both server.

but on my case i want the dsadm user and dstage group it's owner of the local filesystem, and the wasadmin user , wasgroup group it's owner of the shared filesystem.

This is my story :smileyvery-happy: 

Thanks

Mousa55
Super Advisor

Hi,

i still not starting to share filesystem, i want to know if i can share filesystem from server A to server B with different ownership and group as following

Example

On Server A

# bdf
/dev/vg015/lvol15 2097152  952547 1073156   47% /mount1
# ll -d

drwxrwxrwx  17 dsadm        dstage           1024 Apr  6 10:55 /mount1

On Server B

# bdf

serverA:/dev/vg015/lvol15 2097152  952547 1073156   47% /mount2

# ll -d

drwxrwxrwx  17  wasadmin        wasgroup           1024 Apr  6 10:55 /mount2

becuase i know when you try to share some filesystem on any server it's will make a match process between the uid and gid, for that you see the ownership and group it's different about the local server except on one case if the uid and gid are same on both server.

but on my case i want the dsadm user and dstage group it's owner of the local filesystem, and the wasadmin user , wasgroup group it's owner of the shared filesystem.

Thanks

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Ii want to know if I can share filesystem from server A to server B with different ownership and group as following

The short answer is no.  If you want two different users being able to access the files, then they have to be set up that way on the server.  And then the client can do the same thing.

Unless using something like Samba, CIFS?

On Server A
drwxrwxrwx  17 dsadm          dstage           1024 Apr  6 10:55 /mount1
On Server B
drwxrwxrwx  17  wasadmin  wasgroup       1024 Apr  6 10:55 /mount2

>I know when you try to share some filesystem on any server it's will make a match process between the uid and gid

Yes.

>but in my case I want the dsadm user and dstage group it's owner of the local filesystem, and the wasadmin user, wasgroup group it's owner of the shared filesystem.

You can't do that. You can give the illusion of that by changing the passwd file to make these users identical but that doesn't buy you much.

Mousa55
Super Advisor

Hi Dennis,

>Unless using something like Samba, CIFS?

Thanks for your support, but how i can share file system between two HP-UX server by using CIFS With achieving what I want.

On Server A
drwxrwxrwx  17 dsadm          dstage           1024 Apr  6 10:55 /mount1
On Server B
drwxrwxrwx  17  wasadmin  wasgroup       1024 Apr  6 10:55 /mount2

# swlist | grep CIFS
  CIFS-CLIENT                             A.02.02.02     HP CIFS Client
  CIFS-SERVER                           A.02.04.03     HP CIFS Server

Thanks

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>how I can share file system between two HP-UX server by using CIFS With achieving what I want.

This is just a conjecture.  If CIFS allows windows IDs to be mapped to Unix IDs, perhaps it will allow Unix IDs to be mapped other Unix IDs?

In any case, why do you want such a complex setup, instead just make the two IDs on the systems identical?