6118 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

NFS clarification

logaraman
Regular Advisor

NFS clarification

Hi,

When i try to create a oracle instance through dbca on a NFS filesystem on HP, the dbca hangs.. The nfs server is Linux. is there any particular option to share the filesystem on Linux where i can create database files on the NFS which has been sgared on HP-UX
4 REPLIES 4
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

Re: NFS clarification

Older versions with NFS used UDP.
NFS3 and version 4 now uses TCP and is since much more reliable.
But NFS is slow and kills your performance.
Oracle database relies more on data integrity,if your NFS is down you lose your data and well this is not recommended unless you use vfilters (Netapp)

Using a gigabit link might help with the spped of network

To summarize , do not use NFS for your Oracle datafiles unless you use vfilers. you are asking for trouble.
logaraman
Regular Advisor

hi,

Its just for testing purpose. Nothin much of data to be there...
Dave Olker
HPE Pro

Have you tried collecting a network trace to see what traffic is sent between the two nodes? If you can determine the last packet to go over the wire you might be able to discern what the NFS client is waiting on.

My guess would be it's a file locking issue because Oracle does lots of file locking and there are known lock interoperability issues between HP-UX clients and Linux servers. A trace would certainly help validate if this is happening.

Also, as far as Oracle and NFS is concerned, there is a major push inside Oracle to dramatically increase the use of NFS with Oracle databases. HP has made many improvements to our NFS client code specifically to help Oracle perform better with NFS. There's white papers out there discussing this and everything.

Regards,

Dave
I work for HPE

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Kathy Khaghani
Advisor

Hi,

I had a simillar problem programs hanging when access the NFS filesystem. I had install: PHNE_36257 patch.
NFS cumulative patch

Good Luck
Kathy