4849 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: NFS server not able to export to an NIS netgroup

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bob Wolfe

NFS server not able to export to an NIS netgroup

HP J5000 system running HPUX 11.0 serves as an NFS server and NIS client. I am attempting to export a directory to "UXclients" which is a group of hosts in the NIS map "netgroup" but I am receiving the error:
"exportfs error: UXclients: host unknown"
The system is bound to the NIS master server(SGI) and I am able to execute the command: "ypmatch UXclients netgroup" and see the list of hosts in this netgroup. Other maps in the NIS domain are properly accessible and I have updated the nsswitch.conf file to make use of nis for netgroups. Any ideas about what I am missing?
5 REPLIES 5
Sachin Patel
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Bob,
What is your syntax in /etc/exports file?

It should look like this on HP.
/home -access=houhosts

Sachin
Is photography a hobby or another way to spend $
Bob Wolfe

The exports entry matches your format but mine has the addional option of root=UXclients. This "root" option really isn't necessary so I removed it and was able to export the area successfully. My initial problem has been solved but it is still curious as to why the root option gave me such problems. Thanks for your assistance
Wim Rombauts
Honored Contributor

It could be nothing.

When I do the same through SAM, I get the same error, but the filesystem is exported and I can reach them from my clients.
It's just that SAM thinks that the netgroup is a host, and can't find the netgroup in the hosts lookup
Sachin Patel
Honored Contributor

Hi Bob
Because
root=hostname[:hostname]...
Give root access only to the root users from a specified hostname. The default is for no hosts to be granted root access. For this option hostname cannot be a netgroup name.

Sachin
Is photography a hobby or another way to spend $
Bob Wolfe

It appears that HP does it a little different from SGI which does allow netgroups for the root option in the exports file. It would appear that the HP way is a little more secure. Thanks again for your assistance.