4389 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: NFS stale

HCL Ash
Frequent Advisor

NFS stale

if we reboot nfs source.

Will auto mounter client gets stale NFS?

8 REPLIES 8
SoorajCleris
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I think if you are already in the directory, yes, you may get.

I didnt check.

Regards,
Sooraj
"UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity" - Dennis Ritchie
HCL Ash
Frequent Advisor

it does not affect the auto mounter clients

Thx
Aneesh Mohan
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Most propabaly you may get it ..

Aneesh
Dave Olker
HPE Pro

A stale NFS directory or filesystem implies that the server has either un-shared the filesystem, the filesystem no longer exists on the server, or the filehandle used to represent this filesystem has somehow changed on the server.

If an NFS client has a filesystem mounted from a server and the server is rebooted, any access to that filesystem on the client will hang until the server begins responding to requests again. The client should not report a stale filehandle unless the server removes the shared directory, stops sharing the directory, or somehow modifies the filehandle used to represent the directory.

In a normal case, the server will reboot and the client will automatically recover with no user intervention.

Regards,

Dave
I work for HPE

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Viktor Balogh
Honored Contributor

Last time I encountered some problems with automounter, the NFS server side was represented by a NetAPP vfiler. Where the shares have been actively used, the client HP-UX boxes needed to be rebooted to get freeed from the stale file handle
Unix operates with beer.
Dave Olker
HPE Pro

A true stale filehandle should only occur for the reasons I stated earlier. I have no way of knowing why the NetApp filer was returning an ESTALE under normal working conditions, but it was likely one of those three scenarios.

If your HP-UX box is running 11i v2 or higher we support the forcible unmount option that should allow you to remove any hung/stale NFS filesystems without rebooting the client.

Regards,

Dave
I work for HPE

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Viktor Balogh
Honored Contributor

>If your HP-UX box is running 11i v2 or higher we support the forcible unmount option

Dave: no, unfortunately we only have 11iv1 boxes. But I thought force-umount wasn't implemented until v3. At least it was stated so in the following white paper:

http://www.docs.hp.com/en/3929/ForciblyUnmountingNFSFilesystems.pdf

As for the NetAPP problem: a user had a cronjob running every minute in his home that was on a remote NFS share. So the mount was really busy, and after I umounted it a few seconds later it came back.
Unix operates with beer.
Dave Olker
HPE Pro

Hi Viktor,

I guess that techncial paper is out of date. I blame the paper's author for being lazy.

Looking at the umount_nfs(1M) man page on 11i v2 systems you'll see:

-f Forcibly unmount a file system. Without this
option, umount does not allow a file system to be
unmounted if a file on the file system is busy.
Using this option can cause data loss for open
files; programs which access files after the file
system has been unmounted will get an error (
[EIO]).

At one time the techncial paper was correct, as 11i v2 didn't support forced unmount at initial release. However, we added this feature in PHKL_31500 Sept04 base patch:

( SR:8606352682 CR:JAGaf13487 )
( SR:8606353585 CR:JAGaf14379 )
Enhancement: This product update enables the forced unmount
of NFS file systems. When an NFS client loses contact with
a server, it is unable to recover without waiting for the
server to recover, at which point the client has a large
number of stale file handles. There is no option for
failing over to a working NFS server, since the client is
unable to unmount the NFS file system. The ability to do a
forced unmount is necessary.

Sorry for the confusion.

Dave

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo