Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NIS Auto System

Acxiom Unix Team
Frequent Advisor

NIS Auto System

Hi,

A while ago we had to do an emergency restart of our NIS Master server without having time to bring down services correctly or anything. The problem we have now is that we cannot access sub-directories within a directory that is shared across the environment from the NIS Master server now. All the other NIS clients that use this shared directory can access it fine.

This is the shared area;

root@uk205:/> ypcat -k auto.systems
* uk205:/systems/&

We have tried doing a restart of the NIS environment but this has failed. So i am wondering if anyone may have some ideas of what might be happening and how to solve this problem.

Thanks
Where is my beer...??
2 REPLIES
mvpel
Trusted Contributor

Re: NIS Auto System

This is not an issue with the NIS service, but with the NFS or automounter service. NIS is just providing access to the auto.systems automount map. If you can read the auto.systems NIS map, then NIS is not the issue with access to the NFS automount.

Check to make sure that NFS and the automount system is operational on uk205. You'll expect to see a process named "automountd", and you'll want to make sure that the /etc/auto_master file is properly configured to reference the auto.systems map, and that /etc/nsswitch.conf has an entry to permit the automounter to refer to NIS maps.
Acxiom Unix Team
Frequent Advisor

Re: NIS Auto System

I have been and checked a few things. With regards to the server UK205 and also on the server i am trying to mount this directory on.

NFS and the automount are operational as i can automount this area on 2 other servers within the environment.

On UK205 in the entry for /etc/auto_master there is no entry for /systems but within this file on the server i am trying to mount this directory (which is also the NIS Master server) on there is;

root@uk213:/etc> more auto_master
/net -hosts -nosuid,soft,nobrowse
/systems auto.systems

Where is my beer...??