5670 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

NIS login not working

ajb3
Visitor

NIS login not working

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out why I can't log into an HP-UX system where the user ID and password are obtained from NIS.  I get "Login incorrect" when I try.  I'm able to log in as root, though.  I have no problem logging in from a Linux system.  Things seem set up correctly; "ypcat passwd" gives me the exact same output on both the HP-UX and Linux systems (as I expect), nsswitch.conf says "passwd compat", /etc/passwd ends in +::::::, ypwhich gives me the results I expect.  Right now I can't figure out how to debug this, what to look for, how to get some diagnostic output that might tell me what it's trying to send the NIS server and what the response is.  The system does seem to understand the user name; after I log in as root I can use "su <username>" which works fine (it doesn't ask for a password).  But it can't seem to recognize the password at all.  Thank you for any suggestions.

4 REPLIES 4
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: NIS login not working

>where the user ID and password are obtained from NIS.

The password doesn't happen to contain the illegal "#" and "@" characters, does it?

ajb3
Visitor

No, there are no special characters in the password.

One piece of info I forgot to include: The login used to work fine.  The NIS server was on an old Red Hat Linux machine.  That machine went home to the Great Computer in the Sky while the HP-UX system was turned off, and the NIS server got moved to another (Fedora Linux) system.  When the HP machine was turned back on, the logins no longer worked.  Something didn't get configured or reconfigured properly on one or the other machine, but I don't know how to get information displayed so that I can tell where things are going wrong.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>When the HP machine was turned back on, the logins no longer worked.

I've had cases where I have to stop and restart NIS because it doesn't resolve the IDs to names.  But you said ypcat works.

You could try it anyway?

/sbin/init.d/nis.client stop

/sbin/init.d/nis.client start

ajb3
Visitor

# /sbin/init.d/nis.client stop
stopping ypbind
stopping keyserv
# /sbin/init.d/nis.client start
    starting NIS CLIENT networking
    starting up the rpcbind
        rpcbind already started, using pid: 795
        domainname zzzz.com
    starting up the Network Information Service
        starting up the ypbind daemon
        /usr/lib/netsvc/yp/ypbind 
        Checking NIS binding.
        Bound to NIS server using domain zzzz.com.
        starting up the keyserv daemon
        /usr/sbin/keyserv 

This didn't fix it.