New Discussion юеВ

Re: NIS

SOLVED
Go to solution
Nath_3
Frequent Advisor

NIS

Hi,

How to check whether the configured machine is enabled for NIS access?

Please explain me more about the NIS and NIS+

Thanks
PRN
11 REPLIES 11
Ganesan R
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Not clear what you exactly looking for..

Look at the file /etc/rc.config.d/namesvrs file to know if the machine is configured under NIS.

NIS_MASTER_SERVER Value 1 is assigned to this variable if this node is the master NIS
server, 0 if not.
NIS_SLAVE_SERVER Value 1 is assigned to this variable if this node is a slave NIS
server, 0 if not.
NIS_CLIENT Value 1 is assigned to this variable if this node is an NIS client, 0 if
not. Both NIS master and slave servers must also be NIS clients.
NISDOMAIN This variable is used to set an NIS domain name (see the
domainname(1) command).

Hope this would help little...
Best wishes,

Ganesh.
Nath_3
Frequent Advisor

Thanks, How is the Automounter related to the NIS.

PRN
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>How is the Automounter related to the NIS.

You can have automounter maps so that every machine can see the same set of mounts, home directories, etc.
Ganesan R
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

Automounter may be considered an additional service to an NFS client.

An NFS client usually mounts file systems from the NFS server at boot time and keeps these file systems mounted while the system is up. The file systems are unmounted at system shutdown time.

The Automounter, on the other hand,
mounts remote file systems only when needed. If a mounted file system is not accessed for a specified period of time, it is automatically unmounted. The automount daemon keeps this process totally
transparent from the user.

Automounter is a client-side service and is installed with the NFS client. All file
systems and directories should be exported by NFS in the normal way as used with the NFS client.

Automounter uses map files to find mount points and server-exported file systems and directories.

The following variables are used for automount configuration in /etc/rc.config.d/nfsconf

AUTOMOUNT=1
AUTO_MASTER="/etc/auto_master"
Best wishes,

Ganesh.
Nath_3
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Ganesan and Dennis.

Scenario:

I was asked to storage(filer) moved from one server to another?

I got an information saying that that NAS filer can be accessible on any properly-configured machine is enabled for NIS access?

I was able to access it also (automount)

I would like to know where exactly the NAS filer is being initiated. How is this being access using Automount.

Thanks
PRN

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>I would like to know where exactly the NAS filer is being initiated.

I assume you can think of this as a linux NSF server that you can mount or automount.
Ganesan R
Honored Contributor

Hi,

To my limited knowledge on NAS filers, these filers will be like NFS shares exported from NAS boxes and can be imported on the clients.

Again automounter is also going to mount the NFS shares like NFS clients, but on-demand basis.

If you would like to know more about configuring Automounter refer the below link.

http://docs.hp.com/en/5992-0715/ch02s05.html
Best wishes,

Ganesh.
Peter Nikitka
Honored Contributor

Hi,

keep in mind, that the automounter and its (NIS)-configuration is used for the client (i.e. the one who is mounting) and not for the server (who is exporting).
A server used NIS for authentication and permission issues (uses, hosts).

mfG Peter
The Universe is a pretty big place, it's bigger than anything anyone has ever dreamed of before. So if it's just us, seems like an awful waste of space, right? Jodie Foster in "Contact"
Nath_3
Frequent Advisor

Thanks once again to all,

Peter can you please explain in detail me what you mentioned.

I think i am looking for this explaination.

Also, please let me know the difference between NIS and NIS+

Thanks
PRN