1753797 Members
7199 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

NTP: HP-UX and WinXP

Fred Martin_1
Valued Contributor

NTP: HP-UX and WinXP

I'm running NTP on my HP-UX server. I set it up so that it would correct it's own clock based on one of the USNO clocks via the internet.

What do I need to configure, so that the WinXP boxes on my LAN can set their clocks to my HP-UX box?

Right now, if on my XP hosts I put in the name or IP address of my HP-UX server, the XP host just errors.

In SAM I have a server set up under "NTP Network Time Sources" but "NTP Broadcasting" is disabled.
fmartin@applicatorssales.com
12 REPLIES 12
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Re: NTP: HP-UX and WinXP

You will have to get a real NTP client for the WinXP boxes. I'm not sure what exactly MS uses but it not regular NTP.
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

I am not a WIN admin. But I do remember the 'net time' command.

Fred Martin_1
Valued Contributor

NET TIME also produces an error when pointed at my HP-UX NTP server.
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Well, I just did an experiment and pointed my WinXP Pro PC to our HP-UX NTP time server. It synchronized fine.

How different is the time on your PC compared to the unix box? If there is too much difference NTP will not work.

Have you checked your System Event log (Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer -> System and look for the source of W32Time)on the WinXP machine to see what errors it gives?
Fred Martin_1
Valued Contributor

Odd. There are no errors in the event log. There are entries for -successful- NTP connections whenever I had a valid internet time server (such as one the defaults provided, time.nist.gov). But no errors for when it tried and failed to use my HP box.
Fred Martin_1
Valued Contributor

The time between the HP box and my XP host is nearly correct, since they've both been correctly connected to one internet time clock or another, recently.

I intentionally set the time on the XP box to be two minutes off from the HP box, when I tested.
Raj D.
Honored Contributor

Hi Fred ,

Try this to set in win system:

C:\> NET TIME /SETSNTP:time.windows.com

also check ..

W32tm /?
W32Time /?

And hp-ux , configure the /etc/ntp.conf file , with NTP server info.

Cheers,
Raj.

" If u think u can , If u think u cannot , - You are always Right . "
Fred Martin_1
Valued Contributor

Raj,

The net time command works, as you show it. But I am trying to set the time to my HP unix box, running NTP. That fails.

Fred
Alexey_12
Occasional Advisor

I am not sure about WindowsXP, but Windows 2000 can be synchronised to NTP server using following command in CMD prompt:

NET TIME /SETSNTP:HPUX_IP_ADDRESS
NET TIME /QUERYSNTP

use NET TIME /? to check if it is supported on WindowsXP