108758 Solutions
New Discussion

NTP xntpd processes

appli2
Occasional Contributor

NTP xntpd processes

Hi all,

I hv a query reg. ntp time sync:

Lets say the system time of system "X" is 12.00 hrs and system "Y" is 11.55 hrs.Now I configure System "X" as NTP server for system Y.when I start xntpd in the system "Y" the system clock of system Y will get syncronised to system "X". Now lets consider the following situations.

1.If system X , the ntp server is unavailable for a particular period of time ,what will happen to the system clock of system Y When xntpd in system Y is running.

2. If system X , the ntp server is unavailable for a particular period of time ,what will happen to the system clock of system Y When xntpd in system Y is not running.

3.If I deconfigure System Y as Ntp client of system X and make system Y as NTP server for other servers what will happen to the time of system X .As at the time of breaking the association the time will be in sync.When I make changes in /etc/ntp.conf in system Y and restarts xntpd how quickly it will drift towards its original clock.
1 REPLY 1
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: NTP xntpd processes

Hi:

The NTP configuration should include a 'drift' file. The purpose of this file is to hold a calculated "drift" or difference of your server's time from a source time.

The computation of an accurate drift value takes about 1-2 days, but once established, the value in this file allows NTP to compensate for deviations in your server's clock and to maintain a reasonably correct setting even if it is divorced from any external time source for some period of time.

Regards!

...JRF...