Need a script to execute in HPUX machine

SOLVED
Go to solution
Raj D.
Honored Contributor

Re: Need a script to execute in HPUX machine

Sharma,

Here is an example of a script:

From your putty session, I hope you have access (transparent access) to all 59 unix systems:

# cat myscript.sh

#!/usr/bin/sh

cd $HOME
mkdir myscript
cd $HOME/myscript/

uptime > uptime.txt
cmviewcl -v > cmviewcl_v.txt
dmesg > dmesg.txt
tail -500 /var/opt/resmon/log/eventlog > event.log_500.txt
lvdisplay -v > lvdisplay_v.txt
lanscan -q > lanscan_q.txt
bdf > bdf.txt

tar -cvf $HOME/myscript/myscript.`hostname`.tar *.txt
ls -l $HOME/myscript/myscript.`hostname`.tar *.txt
##########-----End_of_script ################

1. copy the script to each server under your home dir. Can be done with scp to all server. Have execute permission set before copy..

2. run it using ssh
# ssh servername:/YOURHOMEDIR/myscript/myscript.sh

# It will generate the tar file of the command output under servername:/YOURHOMEDIR/myscript/

3. Copy the file to your local unix system.
# scp $servername:/YOURHOMEDIR/myscript/myscript.$servername.tar .
##Where $servername is your servername ( 1to 59th) , can be run with a loop with the hostnames list.

4. Move all [ myscript.$servername.tar ] files to your windows system. using windows ftp.

Cheers,
Raj.
" If u think u can , If u think u cannot , - You are always Right . "
Sharma_2002us
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Raj...
I'll try it but still have a doubt about looping all the servers.

Let me try...
i'll get back to you
Thanks...
Raj D.
Honored Contributor

Sharma,

-- Copy the file to your local unix system.
# scp $servername:/YOURHOMEDIR/myscript/myscript.$servername.tar .
##Where $servername is your servername ( 1to 59th) , can be run with a loop with the hostnames list.

The above step can be done : using a loop to all your 59 host:

1. Suppose you have executed the script and all the tar file is ready on the respective server to copy.

2. From your local unix host: from where you are doing putty ssh :to the unix system , use a loop to copy the 59 files all in one command:

- generate the server list file:
# vi my59_servers.list
#Add all the host name.
host1
host2
host59

- scp it using a loop: # scp will not prompt for password if transparent ssh is enabled.

############ execute the command like this:
# for i in `cat my59_servers.list`
do
scp $i:/YOURHOMEDIR/myscript/myscript.$i.tar .
done

# ls -l
# you will see all the 59 tar file with server name. Then you can tar them up to a single file, and move to the windows desktop.

Cheers,
Raj.
Sharma_2002us
Occasional Advisor

Ya Raj i got it...
But do u think its very complicated to do all this...its easy only but...
just run one script in one UNIX system and get all the required info from all the servers and FTP back to my Desktop and i can fill the checklist and send to the customer..

And the Scenario is different hostname and diff passwords...and my desktop is windows..
and main problem is i do't know scripting about HPux....just know how to operate....like DOS...and HPux is like C++...
so i'm finding difficulty....

so i'm feeling very complicated to check in each server..

Anyway thank very much for the help...i'll try the things and get back to u for your suggestions...
Raj D.
Honored Contributor

Sharma,
well, if you are familiar with DOS batch programming , shell script is not very difficult to understand,

Here is a nice and simple steps:
It will run the script: myscript.sh , and then scp the file to the local unix host.
Prior to this the script myscript.sh , has to be in the server in that location.

TEST for one server manually: and check if the script is working and generating the tar file:
# ssh host1:/YOURHOMEDIR/myscript/myscript.sh
# scp host1:/YOURHOMEDIR/myscript/myscript.host1.tar .

- Run for all server in loop: from your local unix box: (Type below commands,)

for i in `cat my59_servers.list`
do
ssh $i:/YOURHOMEDIR/myscript/myscript.sh
# You will see some output of the script run. and it will generate the .tar file in the server.
# next command below will copy that tar file to the local unix host.

scp $i:/YOURHOMEDIR/myscript/myscript.$i.tar .
done
#----End----

Good luck and hope this helps..

Cheers,
Raj.
madhuchakkaravarthy
Trusted Contributor

hi

y do u want to use ftp ,, before running this script u can capture the screen and u can get the output in printable format.

regards

MC
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

What you are asking for is a very common request for managing a large number of servers. There are many products (priced and free) that can help with this task, but all of them (including the script you require) must start with a common method to login automatically. In today's world of servers, the only sane method is to use ssh, so the first step is to login to *EVERY* server, determine if ssh is installed and once installed and configured, add a public key from an HP-UX machine that you designate as the collector of all this information.

Once you can ssh from the management server to each of the systems, then you'll need to write a script that first determines if the system is running (ie, ping check) and will allow a simple ssh command like: ssh server23 pwd

Now you can run the remote commands from a local script and store the results on your local system. At that point, you can ftp or use sftp to pull the files to your PC. Or you can run Apache on your management server and by storing the files in the Apache htdocs directory structure, anyone can open a browser window and select the server's file and look at the results.

The complete solution is to download and copy cfg2html to all your servers. That will be the data collection script. It stores all the information in a full HTML file set, complete with links to dozens of listings (10 times more than your list above).

If you think that this is a big project, you are correct, but it is the only sane way to manage multiple systems. Whether you have 10 systems or 250 systems, the task is the same. Once you have a centralized data collection method in place, it is fairly easy to create system administrator login trees to automate remote logins (PuTTY and the PuTTY Session Manager).

I will be describing and demonstrating all these tools next month at the HP Tech Forum conference in Las Vegas:

http://h30406.www3.hp.com/campaigns/2010/events/hptechforum/index.php

My session is HP-UX Summer Camp to be held on Monday as a pre-conference seminar and part of the worldwide user group Connect. I will also be giving an advanced scripting seminar on Thursday.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin