1753795 Members
6846 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Need to Monitor File Writes

Steve Lowe (IL)
Occasional Contributor

Need to Monitor File Writes

We have an application that writes to a logfile in the /tmp directory. If the application stops functioning, this logfile no longer is written to.

Any suggestions as to how I can monitor this logfile? 'Are You Functioning' writes occur approximately 15 seconds from within the application. Over a 7 day period, the file will grow in size to approximately 200MB.

TIA.

Steve Lowe
Aurora University
2 REPLIES 2
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Need to Monitor File Writes

Hi Steve:

Look at the manpages for 'touch' and 'sh-posix'.

One way is to create a reference point (file) with 'touch -r' that captures your file's last modification timestamp. Then compare what you last saw with the current value using something like 'myfile -nt reffile'. If the you file has been updated, then your application is running.

Your script can loop, sleeping for 30-seconds; wake-up; compare the file timestamps; update the reference file timestamp to be that of your monitored log if they differ; and return to sleep.

If n-number of loops find that the log timestamp has not changed, email yourself an alert.

Regards!

...JRF...

A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Need to Monitor File Writes

You could do an ls -l filename every few minutes and compare the size to the last size. If that is constant then the log has stpped growing:

#!/usr/bin/sh

FILENAME=/aaa/bbb/myfile
typeset -i LAST_SIZE=-1
typeset DELAY=300 # 5 minutes
typeset -i SIZE=0

LAST_SIZE=$(ls -l ${FILENAME} | awk '{print $5}')
while [[ 1 -eq 1 ]] # loop forever
do
sleep ${DELAY}
SIZE=$(ls -l ${FILENAME} | awk '{print $5}')
if [[ ${SIZE} -eq ${LAST_SIZE} ]]
then
echo "File ${FILENAME} ain't growing." >&2
fi
LAST_SIZE=${SIZE}
done

A little checking needs to be done such as does the file exist? but this should get you started.

If it ain't broke, I can fix that.