New Discussion

Need tuning advice for server

SOLVED
Go to solution
chris huys_4
Honored Contributor

Re: Need tuning advice for server

Hi,

I think actually you should increase the sga size. From the performance statistics at this moment the system has multiple gigabyte of free memory (8?), which could be used by (an increased) database cache to reduce the amount of disk IO that is being done. (if the disk performance statistics are being performed at the moment the system was doing database "things"). And as disk IO looks to be the primary bottleneck, every help is probably welcome.

Also first thing, I would do, is to remove the software striping. Software striping only helps on storage that are specifically designed to "help" "the storage striping to perform". If the storage group doesnt know, the system admin group is using storage striping, then probably the software striping will degrade performance instead of increase performance, and in that case its better to remove the software striping.

NOTE: In the above case, I would probably not increase the max_q_depth parameter, avwait is not showing any IOs that are waiting on the host, and the avserv is allready quite high (>10msec) with the default max_q_depth. Increasing the max_q_depth may therefor, degrade performance, instead of increasing it..

NOTE2: Its a bit strange that there are multiple luns that show 100% at the same time. Could it be due to the software striping, that all this luns are hitting the
same disks on the xp24k and therefor are "interconnected" ?

Greetz,
Chris