New Discussion юеВ

Re: Network Printer

SOLVED
Go to solution
AL_3001
Regular Advisor

Network Printer

Hi Gurus,
We are unable to print through the n/w printer. The jobs get stuck in the queue. We have been told that the local people are able to send print og word doc. etc, however tst print from Hp-UX and SAP are not printing.

The printer ip address was recently changed and since thn it is not printing. We have re-configured the printer with new IP at the OS level (on hp-ux) and we are able to ping the printer, but telnet to printer does not succeed. When we do telnet 9100 it gets stuck at the ponit conncecting.

We have told that this is not a unix issue and the port 9100 needs to be opened by the network team for the prints to pass throgh. Are we correct, if not, what else can we do at unix end? Kindly assist.

Thank You.

Regards,
Ashish
6 REPLIES 6
Peter Nikitka
Honored Contributor

Hi,

the usual question here is:
HOW did you really configure this printer:
- as remote printer
- as network printer

A network printer needs a connection to port 910x (x=0 usually). If this port cannot be opened, you have to use the remote printing system:
- very restricted formatting options
- port 515 required

mfg Peter
The Universe is a pretty big place, it's bigger than anything anyone has ever dreamed of before. So if it's just us, seems like an awful waste of space, right? Jodie Foster in "Contact"
AL_3001
Regular Advisor

Hi Peter,

The printer has been configured as a network printer using addqueue command. I have mentioned subject as network printer, which states it is a network printer and hence i have mentioned port 9100.

Any more sugegestions?

Regards,
Ashish
Aneesh Mohan
Honored Contributor

Hi Ashish,

Please confirm you can ping the printer using printer name .
> we are able to ping the printer

but you didn`t mentioned using ip/hostname,because chances are there if the /etc/hosts or DNS are not updated.

Apart from the hostname resolution part ,the next step is about the port 9100.

Aneesh
AL_3001
Regular Advisor

Hi Aneesh,

We are able to ping the printer with hostname as well as ip address.
Cannot telnet and traceroute the printer though.

Regards,
Ashish
Peter Nikitka
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

if it is not possible to telnet to 'printer 9100' and if the network team doesn't want to unblock that port, you are lost at that network printing front.
Try a 'telnet printer 515' - if that works or if the opening of that port is doable,
you can try - as I stated in my prev. suggestion - to setup a remote printer to that network printer an check for results.

mfG Peter
The Universe is a pretty big place, it's bigger than anything anyone has ever dreamed of before. So if it's just us, seems like an awful waste of space, right? Jodie Foster in "Contact"
AL_3001
Regular Advisor

Thanks Gurus!!!