1753797 Members
6936 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Network printer stops printing in middle of last page of report

Kathy Kope
Advisor

Network printer stops printing in middle of last page of report

I have a HP Line Jet 1500Q (Model# C3205D) printer which I am setting up on an HP-UX 11.11 rp3440 printer as a network printer. I am sending plain text print jobs to this printer with no special characters. The print job stops printing in the middle of the last page and never finishes or form feeds. If you take the printer offline the display will say "Data in buffer" or if you hit the form feed, maybe another line will print but that is it. This is for all print jobs.

This is a PCL-II emuluation printer and under the Host Interface menu it is configured as Ethernet with a 'buffer size in K' to 1 (only options are 1 - 16).

Is there any option (possibly force a form feed) that I can set in this file to resolve this issue?

Thanks,
Kathy

9 REPLIES 9
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

what modelscript did you use when you added the printer?
Kathy Kope
Advisor

I tried both 9997 - Generic PCL3 Printer with a net_genericpcl3printer model script and the 9998 - Generic printer with a net_genericprinter model script.

Nido
Trusted Contributor

Hello Kathy,

Since you're printing Plain-Text, try setting printer model as DUMB Printer.

Thanks,
" Let Villagers Be Happy!! "
Kathy Kope
Advisor

Thanks for the information. I set the model script to 9991 - dumbplot_printer and the last page is no longer stopping in the middle of the page.

However, the printer doesn't do a form feed or page eject after the report has printed. The next report then starts printing on the next line after the previous report has completed.

Is there any option that I can set to force a form feed after the report has finished?

Thanks,
Kathy
TTr
Honored Contributor

> I set the model script to 9991 - dumbplot_printer

You were very close. Use model 9990 - "dumbplot" printer and it should do what you are asking for. If you look in /opt/hpnpl/sh and compare dumbplot and dumbplot_printer you will see
echo "PG;\n"
after cat-ing each file. PG=pagefeed
Kathy Kope
Advisor

I used model 9990 - "dumbplot" printer with the echo "PG:\n" but that didn't work for me.

I tried using echo "\014\c". This gave me the form feed but before it printed the last line of the report (which it never does print).

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Kathy
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

did you try padding a couple of \n (new line) characters before echoing \014\c, which I am assuming is the form feed ?

Thanks for all your help! I was able to modify the /etc/lp/interface/model.orig/'printer' file to the options that gave me the form feed and page eject.

Kathy Kope
Advisor

I am closing this thread