1752866 Members
3769 Online
108791 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: New users are not able to login in 11.11i

Roopesh Nair
Occasional Advisor

All Rootvg mount points are OK in size. and there is no errors found in syslog for any nproc errors. in nfile table its showing lot of free pools.

FYI : All old users are able to login in short time frame.

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Perhaps your wtmp file has grown really huge?

A record of all logins are stored in /var/adm/wtmp file: new records are just appended to the end of the file, so it's in chronological order.

When a user logs in, the system searches backwards from the end of the wtmp file to find the last login time of the user. The search terminates as soon as a previous login record is found; if the user has not logged in before, the system needs to search all the way to the beginning of the file, which takes a noticeable amount of time if the wtmp file is big.

As the search works in reverse, it's not very efficient (it does the opposite of what most disk caching algorithms expect). Nevertheless, if it takes more than 30 minutes for a new user to log in on a Superdome and this is the cause, then your system must be rather busy and/or your wtmp file might be really, really huge. You should consider trimming it once in a while.

SAM includes a command to trim the log files (including the wtmp file) in the "Routine Tasks" section, or you can move the old file away and create an empty one in its place (make sure the permissions & ownerships match the original).

If you need the information stored in the old wtmp file, commands like "last" have the -f option: you can use it to read information from the file you specify instead of the current wtmp file.

MK
MK
Roopesh Nair
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Matti.

It works..thanks for time.
Roopesh Nair
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Guys..Closing this disc as Its working fine after trimming btmp.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Roopesh:

The appropriate way to say thanks (and to help future readers find solutions to their problems!) is to follow this:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/help/faqpage/faq-category-id/kudos#kudos

...JRF...