1752610 Members
4489 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: New version of Software Assistant is available

Bob E Campbell
Honored Contributor

New version of Software Assistant is available

Version C.02.30 is now available from https://www.hp.com/go/swassistant. This version provides scheduled reporting and review of past reports to the HP SIM HP-UX CMS integration.

SWA is a client-side tool that allows patch and security bulletin analysis to be performed on HP-UX systems. It can be used as a command-line tool or through HP Systems Insight Manager (HP SIM).

Please post any comments or questions to this thread.
16 REPLIES 16
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the heads-up, Bob. Going to download and install now.
Hakki Aydin Ucar
Honored Contributor

This is very new version, good to hear.
I just wonder how much size do I need to install ? besides, it needs some dependencies.
I could not find in site when I glanced.
Bob E Campbell
Honored Contributor

There are no new dependencies so this should be able to install on any 11.23 or 11.31 system as is. On all releases the dependencies are:

Java (Jre15 r>=1.5.0.02.01, Jre60, Jre14r>=1.4.2.09.04)
Judy libraries (Judy-lib r>=B.11.11.04.00)

and 11.11 systems need patch PHSS_22898 or later

If you have HP SIM already installed on the HP-UX system, their dependencies meet ours.

As for size:
8847360 1111_0910_WEB_SWAmega1.depot
14438400 112331_0910_WEB_SWAmega1.depot

As for usage it depends on if you are just creating reports, creating multi-system reports in SIM, or creating depots from the command line. The first uses space in the users home directory while the others can use 100s of Mb under /var.

Be aware that SWA can be installed on one system and analyzer others. The impact on systems being remotely analyzed is less than 1Mb in the remote users home directory.
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

No dependencies required, other than what is included with SWA.

You don't need much space. The download is approx. 13 MB and the /opt/swa directory itself is 28 MB after installation is complete.

You will need some room as a cache for patches is you let SWA retrieve patches from HP.
Viveki
Trusted Contributor

Is the installation is an upgrade? Or a remove - install one?

Sorry to bother you, but I do not have a system to experiment with.
Bob E Campbell
Honored Contributor

The depots can be used for install or update. Check out the info available from https://www.hp.com/go/swassistant. Our friend @HP_UX_Docs on Twitter has even found a way to embed video in our user guide PDF. Let us know what you think.

There are a few odd corner cases with HP SIM, but they can all be addressed through some combination of a SIM restart and use of the script /opt/swa/lbin/configHPSIM.
Hakki Aydin Ucar
Honored Contributor

I will use in my Lab server small c3000 and do not have extra space (this is why I asked about space), I cannot put HP SIM due to this problem, I will try just SWA as command line options.
Regards.
Bob E Campbell
Honored Contributor

I understand. If you are generating reports the disk space requirements are modest. You may well have more space being used by syslog or the SD logs under /var/adm/sw than SWA reporting will need.

If you wish to create depots you will need working room. On HP-UX 11.11 (11iv1) for example the QPK patch bundles require 2 x 600MB. On 11.23 this balloons to 2 x 1.6GB.

If you have an ignite or depot server, that would be the ideal place for SWA. For experimenting anywhere should be fine.
Hakki Aydin Ucar
Honored Contributor

Thank you for your information.
I want to share specific during my trials new SWA software:

1- Server needs an internet connection to get catalog; if you see this error like me:
->>
ERROR: Failed to read: https://ftp.itrc.hp.com/wpsl/bin/doc.pl/screen=wpslDownloadPatch/swa
_catalog.xml.gz?PatchName=/export/patches/swa_catalog.xml.gz Message: URL cannot be
opened. ftp.itrc.hp.com
->>

2- 2nd issue is for HP UX 11iv1 needs patch PHSS_22898 but when you go to the patch database you will see a recommended another patch and last patch replacement here and one of them is crital fix Kernel Patch needs reboot your system:
->>
PHSS_33945passed functional, customer, stress & performance tests
posted: 2007/04/30
notes:critical fix special instructions/other dependencies

PHSS_33946passed functional and customer tests
posted: 2008/06/30
notes:special instructions/other dependencies
->>

So it seems better to apply PHSS_33945 AND dependencies; PHKL_29243 is for critical fix.