3543 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Newbie Help!

Alan Garner
Frequent Advisor

Newbie Help!

Hello,

Virgin poster here looking for some insite. I have read a lot of the forum postings here regarding mirroring but I am not sure if/how they apply to me. Having said that...Here is my setup:

From factory: Integrity rx3600 running HP-UX v2 with 4 SAS drives, 2 in a RAID 1 mirror and 2 standalones. The root vg is on one of the standalones (why I don't know).

I have since upgraded to v3 and installed 4 additional drives for a total of 8.

Question 1: How do I "move" the vg00 onto the RAID 1 mirror set? I thought about mirroring that disk to another disk but I can't figure out how to talk to the RAID controller to do it!

Question 2: This machine is going to be running Oracle...how should I best allocate the remaining 6 drives. I am inclined to create a second vg with 3 pvs and mirror that accross the other 3 through software but...that's debateable!

What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance for you replys.

Alan
6 REPLIES 6
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

Some options.
I have yet to see the SAS drives in the newer servers with the built in RAID controller as a configuration ( I am assuming this as it is not a typical configuration, maybe it is new )so I am sure there are some more options as well.

Safest:
Create ignite image and reinstall OS to new mirrored disks.

Do-able:
Even if you can control the raid controller and mirror the existing drives to new ones, I would then assume you would want to remove the old ones. You will then need to update the boot handler to boot off the new HW address

New:
Dynamic Root Disk in 11iv3 may be of interest. I have yet to look into this yet.

MHudec
Frequent Advisor

Also check if sas drives are on the same controller, if yes, then you would have nice single point of failure.
Alan Garner
Frequent Advisor

Thanks. I only have 1 system so unless you can ignite a system to itself, that option won't do me any good. I am looking into Dynamic Root Disks as mentioned...at first glance it may work. All the drives are on a single PCI-X Card but split among its two controllers. It would be a whole lot simpler if I could talk to the RAID controller like I can in the Proliants...maybe I will just break down and call HP.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

According to the manual you can migrate a "plain" disk to a integrated RAID, see

http://docs.hp.com/en/J6369-90045/ch03s03.html#caciegcc

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Alan Garner
Frequent Advisor

Thank you. Finally got into the RAID controller!!! However, can't create new mirror with my existing disk because it says I have no avalible space at the end of my disk. I am assuming that it refers to RAW space as it is a 146 GB drive with just the OS and swap on it. No actual data is present yet.

Oh well, I guess I'll wait til tomorrow to see if anyone else wants to chime in then make my descision as whether or not to leave it or re-install.
Alan Garner
Frequent Advisor

Tried a PVMOVE from advice from another thread.. Totally screwed it up. Had to cold install...no big deal since it was just a test box.