5088 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Newbie Questions

admin1979
Super Advisor

Newbie Questions

Hello,

Just a simple question for all you Gurus.

How to shutdown tru64 system?
As far as I know , execute init 0 from the shell and the system comes to P000> prompt which is the service prompt.
But now the question is , can we make hardware changes to the system while the system is at service prompt? Or is there any other way to completely shut down the system?
Basically we want to connect a tape drive to the system.

Thanks,
admin
10 REPLIES 10
Matt Palmer_2
Respected Contributor

Hi,

this could depend on what the physical box is,eg:ES40,DS20.

on an ES40 there are 3 buttons on the front panel. If you are just connecting a tape drive, you could connect it up, and then re-init the box at the P000> prompt, this will probe the SCSI bus again. then you can do 'show config' to see if it has picked the device up. Then when you start tru64 you should see it try to dynamically create the new device files,etc.

Hope that helps

regards

Matt
admin1979
Super Advisor

Thanks for the reply. But how to reinit the box from P000> prompt?
Matt Palmer_2
Respected Contributor

Hi, the box should init itself on powerup before it reaches P000> and then when you type boot it then does a partial init before the system the goes to bootstrap. you can also do 'show dev' to see your tape device. Also pretty sure that you can type help at P000> to get info. (I no longer have ES40 so cant be 100% sure on what the reinit command was, but if you have the box offline anyway, I would just power cycle the server and then it will perform the init automatically.

help that helps.

regards

Matt
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

at the P000> prompt use init to reinit the system, to power off/on enter the rmc usually by typing ^[^[rmc (i have seen right brackets, rcm instead of rmc and esc esc instead of thee ctrl bracket sequence). there is a help in the rmc also.

fwiw

admin1979
Super Advisor

Thanks,
The system we are talking about is Alpha Server 1200.
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

applies to as1200 too.

fwiw
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

> Basically we want to connect a tape drive
> to the system

I'd be fairly happy doing that with the server up and running, as long as I knew what else, if anything, was on the SCSI bus that I connected the tape drive to...

Once physically connected, you could do a:

# hwmgr scan scsi (for v5)
or
# scu scan edt (for v4)

To look for changes on the SCSI bus.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rob
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

in addition to Matt's post, the reinit command is simply "init".

if the vaiables "bootdef_dev" is not empty and "boot_osflags = A", the system will try to boot from the specified disk after the init, unless the halt-switch is asserted.
On some models this switch is not an on/of switch, but a momentary switch, you need to press it immediately after the "graphics init" on screen if you want to stop booting after the init.

Pieter
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

> if the variables "bootdef_dev" is not empty
> and "boot_osflags = A", the system will
> try to boot from the specified disk after
> the init, unless the halt-switch is asserted.

Not necessarily.. .that depends on the setting of the "auto_action" SRM variable...

Cheers,

Rob