108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Newbie need some help...

SOLVED
Go to solution
sullend
Occasional Advisor

regarding Keyboard and mouse connection. There doesnt appear to be a standard connector for them. Will a PC style USB mouse and keyboard work with the unit?
The unit does have a USB card in it..
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

Great idea! Having pictures is a Thousand words.

All looks good. Appears you have a 70096 terminal as the console. System appears on. The connection of console to system - use the 3-way pigtail but ensure that the "Console" pig tail is the actual connection.

As to the keyboard. This is typically a RJ connections into the terminal itself (like an RJ-11). Connect the keyboard to the terminal, make sure the "Console" pig tail to connected, reset the terminal as stated above, you get some echo from the screen.

sullend
Occasional Advisor

The 3 way pigtail console is the connector I am using for the Terminal. The RJ-11 keyboard connector plugs into the back of the Terminal. I turned of the Terminal held down the Shift and "D" key. The Terminal says it loads default settings and then gives me a blinking cursor (see attached)
No "#" as mentioned above..

Again many thanks for your help...
Greg Porter_3
Advisor

I'd guess that the console is set to keyboard, video card, and mouse (some say KVM), not the serial console port. Try hooking regular old KVM to it and see if you have a graphical console. In my HP's, the video console takes precedence over serial ones. See if this is so, and then write back. It is not too hard to change console back to serial.

Regards,

Greg
Kent Ostby
Honored Contributor

At the console, hit:

cntl-B

If you don't get a response then you need to try plugging the console into a different port.

"Well, actually, she is a rocket scientist" -- Steve Martin in "Roxanne"
sullend
Occasional Advisor

I plugged a standard USB keyboard and monitor into the server disconnected the Terminal and restarted it. The F1-F8 menu options are available on the Video screen. The system responds to keyboard entries. I tried the Ctrl-B command and it only gives me a White letter box. Typing seems to have no affect at all on the system, other than displaying the letters on the screen
Since the keystrokes appear on the screen I would assume the server Hardware is functional. (CPU, Memory, video) Is there a diagnostic of some sort I can try to run from a CD? I suppose the disk could be bad?

Again any suggestions would be much appreciated
Greg Porter_3
Advisor
Solution

I had a machine that sounded similar... I wound up pulling the video card out. This appeared to have the effect of forcing console back to the serial console. It was most definitely a "low tech" solution, but I couldn't get console any other way I tried.

If you are comfortable with pulling the card, try this.

The serial port on mine was 9600 baud, 8 - none - 1. If all else fails, try using some other serial device (I used PC with hyperterminal). I have had a 700/96 terminal go bad on me once.
sullend
Occasional Advisor

Thank you Greg! Simple and it worked like a champ! Have a great day! Hyperterminal connection allowed me to get into it after I removed the video card....