5676 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: No rights to create a file called cat,ll

zxcv
Super Advisor

No rights to create a file called cat,ll

Hi ,

In my envt a user must not be able to create files such as cat , ll , mv  which are standard unix commands.

How can i achieve this ?

O.S hpux 11iv2

7 REPLIES 7
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

What can the users do?  To prevent them from creating files by this name, you have to disallow mv, chmod, touch, cat, cp, editors, etc.

zxcv
Super Advisor

Hi Dennis ,

how do i disallow them ??

Doug O'Leary
Honored Contributor

Hey;

To my knowledge, you really can't prevent this.  If you distrust your users to this point, then they shouldn't have access to the system.  

Another way of looking at this: you're trying to fix something that's not a problem.  Even if a user does create a script that has the same name as a normal UNIX utility, the normal utilities will show up in the path statement *before* anything a normal user can create assuming you don't have write access to binary directories for users other than root.  Root and other applicaiton administration accounts need to be limited access: only a specific (small) number of people can access them.

So, even if Billy Blackhat does create a 'cat' script, none of the administrative accounts will run it.  However, what if Billy Blackhat has access to a privileged account?  The right answer still isn't the prohibition that you're looking for.  The right answer is some type of change management software: tripwire, OSSEC, soemthing along those lines.  cfengine will also do the trick, but it'd be a bit more work, I'd imagine.

Doug O'Leary

------
Senior UNIX Admin
O'Leary Computers Inc
linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/dkoleary
Resume: http://www.olearycomputers.com/resume.html
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>how do I disallow them?

Possibly by creating wrappers and making sure that PATH can't be changed.  You probably need a restricted shell.

Or if there is a single application you want users to run, you can set up a menu in their .profile so that it just

runs that application.

>you really can't prevent this.  If you distrust your users to this point, then they shouldn't have access to the system.

Right.

>Even if a user does create a script that has the same name as a normal UNIX utility, the normal utilities will show up in the path statement *before* anything a normal user can create assuming you don't have write access to binary directories for users other than root.

That's not true for users.  And better not be true for root (. in PATH).  (If that's what you are trying to protect.)

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

This is exactly the reason why you should never have "." in PATH (aspecially as root).

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Doug O'Leary
Honored Contributor

>>This is exactly the reason why you should never have "." in PATH (aspecially as root).

And non-world writable binaries/bin directories

and limited access to root and other administrative accounts

and.. and..

I was really trying to avoid drafting a whole UNIX security white paper; however, you and Dennis very accurately (and correctly) pointed out the drawback with my approach.

To the original poster: There is a very large amount of tasks that should be done to secure a UNIX box; even more than can be done, but doesn't necessarily have to be done.  What you're asking, even if it is possible, will cause more problems than it will fix.

Hope that helps.

Doug O'Leary

------
Senior UNIX Admin
O'Leary Computers Inc
linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/dkoleary
Resume: http://www.olearycomputers.com/resume.html
Chirag Parikh
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

HP UNIX Containers is the product which might help you for the configuration which you are looking for. 

Regards,

Chirag Parikh