Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No /sbin/rcS.d or /sbin/rcs.d... Why ?

Srivathsan_2
Advisor

No /sbin/rcS.d or /sbin/rcs.d... Why ?

Hi,

Running Tru64 V5.1

I am wondering why there are no run command script that could execute commands while entering single user mode.

Just wondering, if i create a /sbin/rcS.d and then put the scripts that i want to run while entering single user mode, and make the corresponding entries, say s1, in /etc/inittab for /sbin/rcS to execute the scripts in /sbin/rcS.d....Will it work ??

I am assuming /etc/inittab is customizable..

Please comment
2 REPLIES
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Re: No /sbin/rcS.d or /sbin/rcs.d... Why ?

Hi,

what do you want to start in single user mode?

greetings,

Michael
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Re: No /sbin/rcS.d or /sbin/rcs.d... Why ?

Single user mode is exceptional.
Supposedly you enter it only to resolve a problem, not as an operational platform.
Anything you try to start beyond the bare minimum comprimises getting started at all.
Yeah that means that more often then not you'll start with mounting the root partition for update, but IMHO that is still no reason to automate.
Please explain to us what commands you'd like to permanently execute in single user mode. Why? What underlying problem are you trying to solve? Maybe there are better solutions for the real problem, which may or might not require sigle user mode automation.

Other then that... why not just try it with benign commands at first? Just an echo "I and in rcS.d ot some such?

Regards,
Hein.