108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Non-HP/Non-JetDirect Printers Configured through JetAdmin on HP-UX

SOLVED
Go to solution
Zinky
Honored Contributor

Non-HP/Non-JetDirect Printers Configured through JetAdmin on HP-UX

Has anyone tried to use Jetadmin software to configure non-JetDirect/Non-HP printers? I notice that the redent release of JetAdmin software offer configurations for generic printers via printer IDs.

addqueue -l
...snipped...
9997) Generic PCL3 Printer net_genericpcl3printer
9998) Generic printer net_genericprinter
9999) Generic plotter net_genericplotter

lists the models supported and which includes "generic printers". I just tried this on a non-HP printer and it seems to work with the printer considered as "local printer".

The command I used was:

addqueue -i 9998 -q xerox1 -h xerox1.xyz.com -b off

I can print text, PCL formatted as well as Postscript UNIX files.

Our enterprise has thousands of a mix of printers (all TCP/IP connected and all configurable as remote lpd/lpr printers). And we have a need to enable printer classes so print jobs can be distributed/load-balanced accross similar printers. I believe this can only be done with locally configured printers -- i.e. local cable connection or JetDirect (and similar) configured printers which are considered "local".

Hakuna Matata

Favourite Toy:
AMD Athlon II X6 1090T 6-core, 16GB RAM, 12TB ZFS RAIDZ-2 Storage. Linux Centos 5.6 running KVM Hypervisor. Virtual Machines: Ubuntu, Mint, Solaris 10, Windows 7 Professional, Windows XP Pro, Windows Server 2008R2, DOS 6.22, OpenFiler
5 REPLIES 5
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor
Solution

Been adding non-HP printers, etc. via jetdirect for some time. Using the jetadmin, or hppi, and going through the motions, it will complain that it cannot talk to the printer to determine what type of printer it is. It will then try to ping the printer.

If the printer is on the network and can be ping'ed, go through the motions, ignoring the errors and messages about possible problems. This will add the printer. I have been using the 4si driver with no problems.

Done Xerox, TekTronic, Okidata, Epson, etc...
Lolupee
Regular Advisor

There would not be any issue on some printers as indicated by colleagues but when it comes to driving the printer further through applications that require several functionalities (3copies, changing fonts etc), that is when you may start having issues, but if using for ordinary print, jetdirect would do it if you use the right driver.
Zinky
Honored Contributor

Our prints mainly consists of 3 types:

1.) Plain ASCII with embedded PCL codes for font control, etc.

2.) PCL Stream

3.) Postscript Files (from pdf2ps or text2ps or ghostscript)

We do not use any drivers (which is a rarity anyway) the way it is on windows.

Hakuna Matata

Favourite Toy:
AMD Athlon II X6 1090T 6-core, 16GB RAM, 12TB ZFS RAIDZ-2 Storage. Linux Centos 5.6 running KVM Hypervisor. Virtual Machines: Ubuntu, Mint, Solaris 10, Windows 7 Professional, Windows XP Pro, Windows Server 2008R2, DOS 6.22, OpenFiler
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

For xerox - use theirs:

HPUXXPXX_3.01.48.tar

File downloaded from:
http://www.support.xerox.com/go/results.asp?Xlang=en_US&XCntry=USA&prodID=DC440&ripId=

To add a printer you must use the Xerox printer installer: xpadmin

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
Zinky
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the confirms... and the other options.

All I have to do now is test each flavour for whatever anomalies.

Hakuna Matata

Favourite Toy: