5415 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Not able to login with any user ID

Manish PATHAK_2
Regular Advisor

Not able to login with any user ID

Hi,

Whenever i am creating any user on the server teh user creation is successful,but when i issue the command "su - 'user' " it gives the error "no directory".

Kindly suggest what is missing in the configuration.

Regards
Manish
19 REPLIES 19
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Re: Not able to login with any user ID

Hi Manish,

please post
os version,
how do you create user?
entry of user in /etc/passwd
ls -la 'home directory of user'

thanks,

Michael
Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor

Looks like the users home dir does not exist. As mentioned before, please check the 'passwd' entry.
Manish PATHAK_2
Regular Advisor

Hi Michael,

The OS Version is TRU64 5.1B

I am creating the user by the adduser command and following all the mandatory steps and yesterday i was able to login on the same user account but today i am not,may be some file or script is missing as it shows the error message "no directory"

the /etc/passwd format is..

test:KZINSvsVwbZHg:203:15:test:/usr/users/test:/bin/sh

Regards
Manish
Paul_504
Frequent Advisor

Manish, hi

I tried replicating the problem by deleting the user's home direcoty and then trying to su to the account. It gave the exact same error.

First see whether the test directory is still in /usr/users. If not, just recreate it using mkdir.

Try su'ing then. You don't need to first copy all the profile files. Just having the directory in place should work.

If you later want to copy the default profile files, you should be able to find them in /usr/skel.

Let us know the outcomes.

Regards
Paul
Johan Brusche
Honored Contributor

Manish,

HOW do you add your users ???
Do you vipw the passwd file( = BAD idea), or do you user useradd, adduser or dxaccounts.

If you had used adduser, and correctly answered all questions asked, then you would not have run into this issue....

Johan.

_JB_
Mobeen_1
Esteemed Contributor

Manish,
As the error implies its simply a fact that the users directory on your system for that user is not present.

I would suggest that you ls -l 'userdir' and make sure that the directory is present and then try the su...that should work.

How every, if you are able to su to the user today and cannot do it next day and still get the same error, then i would suggest that you look at some jobs that are running on your system. It might just be a case of some one or some job deleting the directory.

regards
Mobeen
Manish PATHAK_2
Regular Advisor

Hi,

The test directory exists.

User is added by using the adduser command and all the questions are answered carefully.

Everything is fine and till yesterday it was working fine,today it started giving the problem.The user directory exists but while giving the " su - test " command it is giving no directory find and the problem is same with all the users.even with the previous/existing one.

Manish
SlopeZ
Frequent Advisor

Hi Manish,

if anyone can login to their homes..
there is not a problem with the creation of test user.

Can you check the /usr/users directory permissions? If the user don't has permission to access home, then it's redirect to / and show that message.

Can the user loggin into / or the connection it's closed?

Regards.
Saints
Paul_504
Frequent Advisor

Hi Manish

SlopeZ has a point. Have a look at the permissions of the /usr/users directory as well as the permissions of each users home directory within /usr/users. Do a long listing in /usr as well as /usr/users in other words. All users should have execute permissions in the least on the /usr/users directory as well as their home directories.

Not having this also gives the No directory error.