Re: OKI Printer setup on Tru64

Vikas_15
Advisor

Hello,

Now I have configured my print queue for tcp/telnet filtering as below:
(extracts of /etc/printcap)

------------/etc/printcap----------------------------------------
#Firnin OKI printer (28 Jun 04) . (:tyo017m0:)
tyo017m0:\
:ct=tcp:\
:lp=@tyo017m0/raw1:\
:lf=/usr/spool/lpd/errors/tyo017m0.err:\
:sd=/usr/spool/lpd/tyo017m0:\
:if=/usr/lbin/pcfof +Cescp_a4_12cpi.pcf -Opcode=escp:\
:of=/usr/lbin/pcfof +Cescp_a4_12cpi.pcf -Opcode=escp:\
:mx=0:\
:pl=63:\
:pw=95:\
:xf=/usr/lbin/xf:\
:ya="flocale=ja_JP.SJIS
plocale=ja_JP.SJIS":\
:sh:mx#0:

-----------------------------/etc/services-----------------------------------------

raw1 9120/tcp #Port for OKI Dotmatrix printer
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sin1002:/ # lpc status tyo017m0
tyo017m0:
printer is on device '/dev/lp' speed -1
queuing is enabled
printing is enabled
no entries
no daemon present

I tried and tested filter also (ESCP), filter is working fine. But now I am not able to get any printouts. My prints are getting stucked in spooling. Can anyone suggest that what is the mistake I have done in /etc/printcap file. I think that it is /etc/printcap file, that is causeing problems.

Please let me know the correction required in /etc/printcap file or /etc/services file which are mandatory for getting my printer in working condition. Please remember that this printer is connected in WAN connection at a remote location using a print server.

Best regards,
Vikas
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

"ya="flocale=ja_JP.SJIS
plocale=ja_JP.SJIS":\"

and "device is on /dev/lp" indicates a syntax problem. So why using an unsupported method, making mistakes during typing and asking for help? Use lprsetup as written several time before.....

Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Vikas_15
Advisor

Only one doubt....

I am using "HP-Jetdirect 3263A" print server. It is having one port. I have configure telnet printing for this print server. What PORT NUMBER is EQUIVALENT to RAW1 port. Some sites says it should be 9100 and some are suggesting 9101. Can anyone confirm the same?

and if I add this port in /etc/services file .... syntax will be ...

raw1 9100/tcp #Port for raw1 for HP Jetdirect printer.

Many thanks,
Vikas
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

try with 9100 if your doc does not say anything else. You will also have to do a inetd -h or kill -HUP on the inetd.

greetings,

Michael
Vikas_15
Advisor

Hi,
I configured the printer using LPRSETUP utility and it started priniting. But the original problem of priniting JAPANESE is still remaining the same. I used ESCP filters with my print queue, but the outcome is that if a document containing ENGLISH and JAPANESE is given for printing, it prints ENGLISH but in place of Japanese characters, it prints JUNK characters. The /etc/printcap entry for this printer is as follows:

tyo017m8|lp4|tokyo2:\
:ct=tcp:\
:lf=/var/adm/errors/tyo017m8.err:\
:lp=@tyo017m0.tyo.pacific.firmenich.com/raw1:\
:if=/usr/lbin/pcfof +Cescp_a4_10cpi.pcf -Opcode=escp:\
:of=/usr/lbin/pcfof +Cescp_a4_10cpi.pcf -Opcode=escp:\
:mx#0:\
:of=/usr/lbin/lpf:\
:pl#66:\
:pw#80:\
:rm=@dpa:\
:rp=tyo017m8:\
:sd=/var/spool/lpd/tyo017m8:\
:xf=/usr/lbin/xf:\
:ya="plocale=ja_JP.SJIS":

locale settings are:

/users/mnin_mgr locale
LANG=ja_JP.SJIS
LC_COLLATE="ja_JP.SJIS"
LC_CTYPE="ja_JP.SJIS"
LC_MONETARY="ja_JP.SJIS"
LC_NUMERIC="ja_JP.SJIS"
LC_TIME="ja_JP.SJIS"
LC_MESSAGES="ja_JP.SJIS"
LC_ALL=

I studied in one Tru64 admin pdf (http://h30097.www3.hp.com/docs/base_doc/DOCUMENTATION/V51B_ACRO_DUX/ARH9FETE.PDF>> Page number 8-47 ) that filters may not work properly over different subnets. Is my problem related to this? Is there any other way to use this printer for Japanese prints?

At the sametime, I am having a Laser printer which is working fine in same setup and with text port settings. Moreover, that printer doesn't use any filter.

Can anyone suggest some wayout of my problem?

Many thanks in advance,
Vikas
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

as written before: pcl filtering with japanese may not work, please read the given pointers!

If piping of an sample text thru the filter does not work, so remote filtering does also not work...
Vikas_15
Advisor

I used the following method to test the filter :

#cat test_japanese|=/usr/lbin/pcfof +Cescp_a4_10cpi.pcf -Opcode=escp

It give me output. It means filter is working. What can be other possibility?

Regards,
Vikas
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

no with your command you have piped the content through the filter and this will always work. But you must also print the generated output file on the printer to check if japanese characters will be really printed otherwise the test is absolut useless...

Btw. if it will not work maybe problem is the pcl filter, use postscript or text instead as written within the given link.
Vikas_15
Advisor

OKI printer is not supporting Tru64 OS. However, OKI supports windows OS. I made use of Windows Print services for Unix , created a print queue in windows server, and then from Tru-64 server, the output of print queue in Tru64 box is directed to windows machine which is having Oki printer driver installed. Though it is a temporary solution, but working fine.

Thanks to all who responded and helped me to configure OKI printer for Tru64 server.