1748183 Members
3342 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: OPC_OP group what is it

marvin51796
Regular Advisor

OPC_OP group what is it

Can someone explain to me what the ID and group OPC_OP is and why it has taken over an UID already in use?

thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

This is likely related to the HP Openview Operations Center (OPC) product.  During installation it adds user ids and groups to the system.  I believe there are several all starting with opc_ (opc_adm, opc_op, possibly others).

Apparently it did not check to see if the UID was already in use when it added opc_op.

marvin51796
Regular Advisor

Can we swich the UID to a different number withoout causing damage to the account or its processes???
thanks

Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

You probably can.  I would make a list of all files owned by the opc_op id (use find), stop any OPC processes that are running, change the UID, change all of the files to be owned by the new UID, and then restart the OPC processes.

sekar sundaram
Honored Contributor

from HP SelfSolve, i found this:

By default opc_op will use user ID (UID) 777 and group ID (GID) 77 when this account is created on a UNIX system.  However, if these are already taken then they will find the next available number.

but, this was in OpenView OVO6x - during 2002. presently its OM9x. but i think the UID and GID numbers are not changed even on OM9x(i dont have access to any OM9x, othervise, i could have verified this).

when i searched for how to change the UID and GID, i dont see any document which says we should not change the UID, GID's. So, you can change it, i think.