New Discussion юеВ

OS cannot complete the reboot process after changing net parms

SOLVED
Go to solution
Yarok
Regular Advisor

OS cannot complete the reboot process after changing net parms

Hello,

After changing the ip_address (via set_parms and/or SAM) and addl_netwrk for subnet mask+DNS and reboot the system (must), the reboot "wait" on NFS server and the OS cannot be up.

1. Which files are changing when I configure the ip address accept of /etc/hosts and /etc/er.config.d/netconf and why?
2. What is the correct way to define ip_addres, and other network parameters?

BR,

Yaeon
4 REPLIES 4
RickT_1
Valued Contributor
Solution

Re: OS cannot complete the reboot process after changing net parms

Yarok,

You did nothing wrong in changing the IP address and network parameters. What is most likely going on is that the NFS server was setup to export to the old IPs and not the new ones. If the file system is set mount option is set to hard, then the system is going to be waiting forever to mount the NFS filesystem to which it has no permissions. You have to have the NFS server setup to allow the new IP to mount the filesystem and everything will be ok.

Rick
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

This is very common with 10.20 and 11.00...you may not have any NFS server or clients defined but the system hangs on the NFS start section. If you are not using NFS, turn it off by editing /etc/rc.config.d/nfsconf. Set these values =0:

NFS_CLIENT=0
NFS_SERVER=0
AUTOMOUNT=0
START_MOUNTD=0

This will allow your system to finish booting without delay. To cancel the hung NFS scripts, use CTRL \ which is the standard stty character to generate a SIGQUIT signal. CTRL C is not effective during start scripts. Note that SIGQUIT may take you directly to a login prompt and not finish booting your system. You can edit the nfsconf file and then reboot.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Yarok
Regular Advisor

Thanks for the answers,

Actually I did it ├в edited the /etc/rc.config.d/nfsconf with the ├в 0├в value. But I didn├в t edited the field START_MOUNTD.

On that stage the OS couldn├в t come up at all.
I rebooted it and interrupt the reboot process to re edit the NFS values.
Now, I receive a white screen with the following message:
├в The software installed on your system will not provide full performance. Please install the software that was shipped with your graphic device.
Press any key to continue.├в
I pressed a key and the message repeated again.
I can log in via Exceed (Xterminal software) on failsafe session mode only.

1. How can I encourage the problem?
2. What is the connection between setting net connection parameters and this crush?
3. How can I do it right for next time?

By the way, the problem above occurs on other HP machine.

Please advice.
Yarok
Regular Advisor