Operating System - Linux
1748219 Members
4503 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Ok to extend hardware RAID5 in hpacucli on server running RHEL4?

Shahid Sheikh
Occasional Contributor

Ok to extend hardware RAID5 in hpacucli on server running RHEL4?

I have a DL380 G4 running RHEL4. Had three 146 GB drives in there in a RAID5. Single logical drive configured in the array controller that uses all the space in the RAID5 array.

I added another 146 GB drive and expanded the array through hpacucli. Now I see 186,680 MB free in the array using hpacucli.

I was about to extend the logical drive in hpacucli (ctrl slot=0 logicaldrive 1 modify size=max) so I can use up the additional space and stopped at the last confirmation step (because it said to make sure your operating system supports it.)

Have looked at several posts here including http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1131222. Unfortunately, I can't seem to follow the responses. They don't mention anything about extending the logical drive through hpacucli which I think was the original question. All the responses talk about lvm and other partition tools.

So my question is, can the existing logical drive which is already being used by the system not increased in size using hpacucli extend operation?

If that cannot be done then is the only way to create second logical drive using hpacucli?

I cannot down the server. Or rather don't prefer to down it if I don't have to.

Eventual goal is to add a second swap space and increase the size of existing logical volume in lvm.

lvm> pvs
PV VG Fmt Attr PSize PFree
/dev/cciss/c0d0p2 VolGroup00 lvm2 a- 273.34G 32.00M
lvm> vgs
VG #PV #LV #SN Attr VSize VFree
VolGroup00 1 2 0 wz--n- 273.34G 32.00M
lvm> lvs
LV VG Attr LSize Origin Snap% Move Log Copy%
LogVol00 VolGroup00 -wi-ao 271.38G
LogVol01 VolGroup00 -wi-ao 1.94G

Thanks,

Shahid
1 REPLY 1
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Re: Ok to extend hardware RAID5 in hpacucli on server running RHEL4?

I would create a new logical drive in the remaining space for the array, and then extend the volume group to this new disk with vgextend.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?